Sleeping (Eric Imagine)

Her hair splayed out against the pillow, leaving a slight tingle against Eric's neck. He can feel the curve of the top of her head just under the curve of his chin. A lazy arm is sprawled along his torso while his own strong arms wrap around her, like a guardian protecting his queen. No one else could ever get this close to him.

She lets out a soft breath and her back against his chest pushes back against him and pulls away again. Back and forth like the ocean waves crashing against his shore. Eric smiles to himself, his lips hidden in the tangle of her hair. An idle hand brushes the contours of her face, her cheekbones, jawline, eyebrows, round lips. Everything is perfect.

"Eric?" she asks, a low whisper. "Are you awake?"

He debated on pretending to be asleep just to hear her say his name again, but didn't. "Yeah, right here."

"It's cold." She complained while a shiver rolled through her body. He felt every ripple of her nerves against his taut muscles. He flexed and relaxed in his sleep just to get a centimeter closer to her.

"Well, let's see if this helps." Eric suggests and envelops her beneath him, his arms and legs wrapping around her everything. Her eyelids fluttered closed so close that her eyelashes tickled his chest. His lips pressed against the top of her head while his fingers danced in the tresses of her hair, falling down her back and across the mattress. It was dark and she was beautiful, more beautiful now that she was wrapped in his Dauntless defense.

"I love you." he whispered in a voice that sounded foreign even to him. Even he couldn't be the tough, terrifying leader who hung people off the chasm or threw knives at their heads all the time. His heart was a rock but it still could be softened in the dark at night with only his queen to witness his weakness. She never spoke a work of it to anyone.

"I love you, too, Eric." she whispered along his collarbone, her words shooting straight into his rock of a heart. "You big softie."

His lips left a trail of kisses along her scalp, a silent offering of himself to her. Soon enough, he could hear the soft snores coming from her in a deep sleep with goosebumps on her arms.

God help anyone who dared interrupt them.