2

NIGHTMARES

It was night and Luffy was on watch. He was laying on the grass at the deck watching the stars. His arms were supporting his head. Lately, he wasn't able to sleep well because the day where Ace died is nearing. And Luffy couldn't help but being traumatized by the incident again.

He closes his eyes trying to wash away the image of Ace's blood on his hand when he heard the sound of the kitchen's door being open, Luffy sat up straight and look into the open doors.

He knew he shouldn't be going near the kitchen at all since he will only eat all the foods in there so he tries to lay back and closes his eyes to pretend he didn't know the door was opened.

After a while, the door was closed and footsteps was heard. The walking stopped and Luffy opened his eyes to find Nami sitting on the right side of the ship's stairs. Her head was covered by her arms as she hugged her knees.

Luffy was curious as to why she's posing like that, "Oi."

Nami jerk her head up and look at Luffy wide eyed. "He-hey." She stuttered and let her arms fall back to her side.

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked smiling. Nami nodded and asked back, to which Luffy replied, "I'm on watch tonight."

"Aren't you sleepy?" She asked with her normal tone.

"I can't sleep." He lets out with a sigh. Nami smiled and proceeded to sit beside him.

"I found it hard to sleep these past few days." He continued and Nami nodded, "Me too. I keep waking up in the middle of the night."

"Is it because of Ace?" She asked and immediately regretted her question. To this, Luffy turned his head to face her with a surprised face, "How do you know?"

"Even though we're separated two years ago, I know what happened back in that war, Luffy." She replied softly. "I'm sorry."

Luffy turned his head to face the seas ahead of them, "It's okay."

Silence fell upon them and both of them enjoyed the view. That is until Luffy notices Nami's hands that were hugging her knees are shaking.

Without asking, he took Nami's left hand and hold it with his right. Nami went wide eyed and look at him. "What's wrong?" He asked concerned.

Her eyes fell down to where her hand was hold by Luffy's on the deck. "I was- I just- Couldn't sleep." She muttered. No matter how dumb people think Luffy is, she knew Luffy was smart in a different way. "I know that you couldn't sleep, but why?" He asked while tightening his grip on her hand that was still shaking.

"I've been having nightmares." She sighed. "About-" She pauses for a while and seemed to having a hard time to continue.

Luffy spoke, "It's okay if you-"

"About Bellemere's death." She closed her eyes trying to hold her tears from coming out.

Suddenly Luffy felt guilty for not listening to Nojiko's story and act like it wasn't a big deal. He never knew Nami had lost someone either.

Luffy was battling about whether to ask who Bellemere is or just shut up but his curiosity get the best of him, "Who's Bellemere?"

Luffy felt like he just drowned in the sea and wishes that he could take back his question.

Nami smiled sadly and gaze towards the horizon. "My mother figure. She saved my life. Twice." She ended bitterly.

Luffy nodded and proceeded to put his beloved straw hat on Nami's head. She remained silent and Luffy hold her hands tightly. Trying to stop the shaking.

"I was fine these past years I grew up. But I don't know why now all of a sudden her death is eating me out." She muttered.

Minutes past by and Nami's shaking had stopped.

"I know that they are watching over us with a smile." Luffy said out of the blue.

"Yeah." Nami said smiling.

"And we don't have to feel bad about their deaths. I'm sure all of us have lost someone dear to us in the past." He continued. "We may be thinking that we could change their deaths with "if only" but no matter how hard we tried, we can't. What we have to do is walk ahead, don't look back. They're watching us and they remained in our hearts. So don't be sad. Or else the heaven will cry."

Luffy lifted his chin to face the sky and smiled. Nami did the same and gave Luffy his hat back. "Thank you." She smiled.

"Are you hungry?" She asked to which Luffy nodded vigorously.

Nami stand up and proceeded to take the ripe tangerine to give it to Luffy. "Just for this once, okay?" She then sat back down next to him.

After he finished eating which took only a minute or so, he opened his mouth again, "Can I hold your hand again? It's warm and soft and it reminded me of my childhood memories."

Nami blushed and took Luffy's right hand into hers. Without asking, he lay down on Nami's lap and took her left hand with in his grip. "I need some sleep. You can sleep too if you want Nami!" He said with a grin.

Nami only blushed, "No, you should sleep Luffy."

And after a moment Luffy was snoring quietly. Nami brush his hair slowly and smiled. She knew that Luffy was having nightmares about Ace's death and it was eating him. And still he tried to calm her.

"Ace would be proud of you Luffy." She whispered quietly and she felt a pat behind her left shoulders and she knew that warmth, Bellemere. She lift her eyes to Luffy's spot and her eyes widened. Ace was sitting there facing them with a grin similar to Luffy's.

Nami looked at Luffy to see if he's awake but he's still sleeping soundly. She looked at where Ace was but he was gone.

She smiled.

"I know that they are watching over us with a smile."