Chapter 1

'Cause you're the last of a dying breed
Write our names in the wet concrete
I wonder if your therapist knows everything about me
I'm here in search of your glory 

Los Angeles, McMann High School: 2040

Nobody knew what was happening. How could you explain it? An asteroid had just plummeted to the Earth. There was no sugar-coating that. There couldn't have been survivors. Yet... you could hear the faintest heartbeats. Eight...No...seven tiny hearts beating at once, the last humans.

One of them got up. Then another one until all of the survivors had risen.

Among them were Mason, Skylar, the 'twins' David and Lisa, Eli, Jessica, and Emma.

The flourishing green school garden around them had been distorted into a scorched-barren wasteland. The buildings around them transmuted into nothing but piles of ash –along with the people inside-only the large steel brace was left and it wasn't looking so good.

Surrounding the kids were bodies of their peers– all burned, all horrifying- their eye sockets completely empty and their hair and skin black from the intense heat.

"They're all dead!" cried Lisa as she got on her knees, covering her face with her hands.

As if on cue, the other girls affectionately embraced their depressed friend and telling her that it would be okay. They knew that it wasn't true. They knew it was a lie but they still said it. They would do anything for their friends.

The other boys went on to look for supplies around the school, the sick bay being their first choice.

"So, Mason, how's it with you and Skylar?"

David Chows' voice echoed inside Mason's head as they walked past the razed classrooms.

The blistering sun was pouring down on them. The walk to the sick-bay was surprisingly normal. There were lots of dead bodies but other than that it was okay. There had been lots of small talks, to take their minds off what had just happened. Normally, Mason would have been bored to death but with his two best buddies it was like entering the cool autumn after an unforgiving summer.

Even in the midst of an unforgiving summer.

"So, Mason, how's it with you and Skylar?"

He heard him ask the question again. They had just finished talking about how this situation had looked familiar like it was pulled directly out of a horror movie or some kind of book written by a 13-year-old. David paused before picking up a charred pen from the black ground.

"So, Mason, how's it with you and Skylar?"

That question snapped Mason out of the empty space he wandered into in his head. It caught him off-guard.

"What do you mean?" asked Mason defensively.

David and Eli laughed at their friend.

"We know you have a crush on her," they said in harmony mocking their friend.

Mason's face turned into an unnatural shade of ruby-red.

"How?" desperately asked Mason trying to find where the crack in his mask was.

"A little birdie tweeted it" insouciantly answered Eli.

"At least he's not on tier 15" joked David.

Mason looked back to see his friends staring at him, eyebrows going up and down lasciviously.

"What's that?" asked Mason

"Nothing, just give her some flowers and it will be okay," answered David

The group passed through the school hall –or what was left of it. Mason pulled open the heavy wooden door to the sick bay to a blast of warm air that stank of blood and depression. The bed on their right barely scorched, protected by the unbreakable steel cover around the entire facility.

"Isn't there supposed to be a nurse in here?" pondered Eli

No sooner than he uttered those words, a blood-curdling scream was heard. A creature lunged straight at him, a hypodermic in one hand ready to stab him. Acting on impulse, Eli dodged towards the coatrack that sat in the corner.

The being glared at Eli with a fire hotter than a thousand flames with its pair of amber eyes.

The unearthly being had the structure of a woman, most likely the nurse, and its body completely covered with white hair. The pair of glittering amber eyes set in a face of long white hair stared at Eli.

Eli reached out, grabbing the old metal coatrack. He rose up the coatrack like a sword pointing towards the enemy. Running towards the enemy without fear, he struck the beings' chin with the coatrack.

The being staggered backward as Eli plunged the coatrack into the beings' body causing it to violently twitch.

Thinking that he was done, he turned back to see Mason and David looking at him in horror.

"What's wrong?" asked Eli

The boys pointed at the body of the nurse. It still had a lot of fight left in it. The black coatrack started glowing to become a faint red. Its eyes opened. Its black lips parted.

Eli glimpsed at its yellowish fangs-so close to him...

Run

His brain was telling his legs to move but they couldn't.

He couldn't move.

He couldn't breathe.

Suddenly he knew how a small animal would feel before falling prey to some hungry beast.

Because he was the prey

And this monstrous-looking being was the predator.

________________________________________________________________________________

Song Of The Chapter: The Last Of The Real Ones by Fall Out Boy ('Cos you know they're the last humans)

Well, that was a nice start to the book (hopefully). If you liked it vote for the book, add it to your reading lists or comment down below on which part you liked the most.

And don't forget to ...

TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR DEAD PEOPLE KILLING TEENS FOR NO APPARENT REASON!

*bleep*