Chapter Twelve

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

~*~

Cassie P.O.V.

        It’s Friday today, and I’m feeling relieved that classes are over for this week. Malfoy sent me an owl earlier this morning, telling me that he could tutor me later in the afternoon.

          He helps me study for a little over two hours, to prepare for an upcoming Potions exam that I’m seriously dreading. Once we finish, I pack up my bag and turn to Malfoy to say goodbye.

          “Actually,” he smirks, “I’m going too. I have to talk to Trelawney about her stupid essay…”

          “Okay,” I laugh and exit the Room of Requirement with Malfoy close behind. This is the first time Malfoy and I have left together, and at first I’m worried people will notice. But no one even gives us a glance as we turn into the only slightly crowded hallway, making me feel very relieved.

          We don’t talk as we climb the stairs up towards the Ravenclaw common room, which happens to be near the Divination classroom. I’m just thinking that we might actually make it without being noticed when I see Matt leaning up against a pillar about ten feet away, staring at us.

          Fuck, I think, my mood crashing instantly. How could I have been so stupid as to walk with Malfoy? It didn’t even cross my mind that Matt would see us. I look around frantically for some way to avoid him, but he’s standing in the hallway we need to pass through. Unfortunately, the hallway is nearly empty on this side of the school, so there’s no cover. Malfoy hasn’t even noticed what’s going on, but I’m silently freaking out.

          As we get closer to Matt, I calm myself down a bit by the thought that he probably won’t even say anything to me. Matt’s been ignoring me since before break, so why should he stop now, right? Wrong.

          We’re just passing him when I hear Matt say quietly, almost deadly, “What the hell are you playing at, Cassie?”

          My legs turn to jelly, but I force myself to have an emotionless face as I turn to face him. I see, out of the corner of my eye, Malfoy slowing down beside me, debating whether or not to keep walking. Apparently, his curiosity gets the better of him, and he stands slightly behind me.

          “You ignore me for two weeks,” I say, surprising even myself at how calm I sound, “and now you decide to talk to me?”

          Malfoy’s starting to look uncomfortable, then says quietly, “Um, maybe I should—“

          “I’ve seen it, Cassie,” Matt interrupts, staring at me unblinkingly.

          “Seen what?” I ask, actually wondering what the hell he’s talking about.

          “His Dark Mark.”

          There’s silence for a second, and I feel Malfoy tense up beside me. I blink several times, hoping this is just a dream, that this isn’t happening right now. My hands feel sweaty as I reply shakily, “Matt, stop it. Malfoy does not have—“

          “I saw it!” Matt yells suddenly, uncrossing his arms and stepping closer in anger. His face looks slightly red as he points to Malfoy, “I saw the Dark Mark on his arm. He’s a Death Eater, Cassie.”

          I take a step away despite my desire to stay strong, and I’m starting lose whatever confidence I had earlier. “You’re wrong. He can’t—“