Chapter Thirty-Five

NOTE: I do not own any of the ideas or characters expressed in this story (except Cassie Jackson). All of these belong to J.K. Rowling.

~Dedicated to SimpleSmiles because she always leaves the sweetest comments that make me so happy :') plus she always makes me want to update fast lol.

*****************

Draco P.O.V.

          “Mr. Malfoy, if you would be so kind as to pay attention.

          I turn my gaze from the view of falling snow through the window and face Slughorn reluctantly. He looks over at me expectantly and continues, “Now, I know that looking out the window is much more interesting than my lesson, but I’m afraid you’ll have to give your attention here instead.”

          Giving a stiff nod, I have to fight the urge to yell back that his lesson means nothing to me, that I have much more important things to think about. Like wondering where the hell Cassie is.

          She didn’t show up for Defense Against the Dark Arts, and I know she didn’t just skip—that’s not like her. And she isn’t here for Potions either, so I’m seriously starting to worry. What if Cassie’s missing because of last night? If that’s the case, then I have no idea what to do. Anger is already bubbling up inside me at the thought of what might have happened to her.

          “Mr. Malfoy, do I have to tell you twice?” Slughorn fixes me with a disapproving stare, but the effect is not nearly as great with his face lined in so much worry. He’s worn out—all the teachers are, except for the Carrows.

          Slughorn glares at me half-heartedly a moment longer, then turns away to continue his lesson. A few people shift around in their seats to look at me, but I tactfully ignore them. The professor writes more Potions terms on the blackboard, but my note sheet is blank anyway so I don’t bother.

I fix my line of vision onto the term Blackboare Stone chalked onto the board and try desperately to think of where Cassie could be. I’m trying to convince myself that she’s just slept in after last night, but it doesn’t feel right. My heart sinks as I realize I can’t think of a single reason other than that she’s with the Carrows. The thought makes my blood boil.

The bell rings sharply and suddenly, effectively interrupting my worried thoughts. I look up at the sound of chairs being scraped back and Slughorn calling unenthusiastically, “Come along then, everyone, and I’ll walk you to lunch.”

I stand with everyone else and follow Slughorn out the door to head up to the Great Hall. I’m hoping Cassie will be there to eat, and then I can figure out what the hell happened last night.

But she’s not there. I scan the Ravenclaw up and down several times, but I don’t see her. And now that I think of it, Lovegood’s missing too. I try desperately to think of who else had been involved with what happened last night, but I just remember being too furious with Cassie about risking so much for some first year that I hadn’t paid much attention to details.

My stomach turning over in fear for Cassie, I take a seat near the end of the Slytherin table and keep looking around the hall for her. She has to be here somewhere, she has to.

I suddenly spot Katherine, and my heart leaps. Surely she went with Cassie last night; they’re best friends, after all. Watching carefully, I see her pat Cho Chang on the shoulder and exit the Great Hall.

Seeing my chance, I rise from my place at the table and walk briskly out after her. As I escape the noisy crowds in front of the dining hall, I realize Katherine’s heading for the bathroom—hopefully this won’t get too awkward.