Chapter 5 - Strange Feeling

"Oh My God" Brandon mumbled. I had never heard him saying the word 'God' before but there was no time to think about it.

"Oh my God! Fire!!" I screamed very loudly that I was afraid our neighbors will hear. I didn't do anything but scream, I couldn't even think of anything, or analyze what had actually happened. Our kitchen was in a mess, the fire was burning Mom's recipe books. Our fire alarm had been broken and it hadn't been fixed yet, it made the situation worse.

I didn't know what to do. I was just so blank. I couldn't believe our kitchen was on fire and Mom was already lying powerlessly on the floor. The smoke was starting to fill the athmosphere. I was coughing while trying to help my Mom to get up. I didn't know what happened and what made my Mom's spaghetty spreaded on the floor. Something had exploded.

But she was still alive, that was the most important thing. "Mom, come on, please," I said between my cough. My Mom didn't say anything. Instead, she kept falling and I was almost giving up.

Brandon was now bringing the fire extinguisher and put down the fire. Luckyly, it hadn't turned big, but I still had the biggest problem here.

MOM DIDN'T MOVE!!

I started to panic. My hands were sweaty and shaking hard. I couldn't even hear anything because the sound of my heartbeat was just too loud, blocking my ears. Tears were already becoming waterfalls on my cheeks.

Brandon'd done with the fire and I sighed in relieve. Quickly, Brandon carried my Mom in a bridal style. If the situation wasn't this serious, this would be really funny. Brandon was walking-half-running to the outside, and I somehow knew what in his head was. He was going to the hospital.

My hand grabbed the car keys on the desk and pushed the unlock button. I heard the 'beep-beep' sound. Suddenly I remembered about Rodrick. When he was 5, he used to like the car's 'beep-beep' sound. Because it probably meant we were going to go to somewhere, which made Rodrick excited.

I looked over my shoulder and find the short figure of Rodrick.

He was still there, he didn't move any inch.

I came over him and clutched his hand, "Mom is going to be okay," my voice was shaking and I hated it. I should sound really strong and sure that what I was saying is right.

I didn't know if Rod was going to believe me or not.

I gave the key to Brandon and we drove to the hospital immidiately. I hugged Rodrick who was now crying. If the situation wasn't this serious, this would be funny. Yeah, I had told you before.

Rodrick was really close to Mom. He always worried about Mom when she was not around and couldn't stand a week without her.

"Mom's going to be okay. Everything's going to be fine," I repeatly said those words to him. He was crying in silent which broke my heart in pieces. I just couldn't see him crying like this. Quitely but hurt.

Brandon was driving really fast and I'd just noticed it. I'd been busy with Rodrick that I didn't realize how fast the car was. Was he crazy?? I meant, I knew it's really urgent but he had to control himself. "Brandon!! Slow down a little bit, are you trying to kill us??!!" I yelled at him.

"Shut up!! Mom is dying!!"

I was shocked hearing it. HE WAS REALLY CRAZY! Rod was here and heard him. It definitely broke his heart, it scared him. And scared me too. I hugged Rod tighter and I could feel his tears watering my shirt.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?! We are dying! Unless you slow down the car so we can be arrived to the hospital safely!"

Brandon didn't say any word.