/Chris/

"SCOUT! Please don't invite him over! You know how much I hate em'" I cross my arms and give my brother a glare.
I could tell it made him think twice and stutter but he stood his ground. Typical.
"No, y/n he's my friend and you should get used to seeing him once and awhile" he throws back.
"He is a Chambers!" I throw my hands up in the air.
"So! Do you know what the kids at school whisper across the table about us!?" He smirks crossing his arms and rolling his eyes over dramatically.
"They just wish they were me. Your actions just prove my point ya' poser" I say sarcastically.
"D-..ah" he struggles with words to say when the doorbell rings.
"Scout! Your friends here!" Our mom's voice echoes through the bland hallways chilling by bones to the core.
"Let's see how this goes" he wiggles his eyebrows and winks.
I roll my eyes and walk to the kitchen.
"Mom...mom....." I say but she pays to attention to my presence and continues making diner. I clear my throat.
"Mom,mom,mom,mom,mom,mom,mom,mo-"
"Oh...what is it sweetie?" She finally notices me standing at the door
"Why doesn't Scout just go the the Chambers's?" I ask swinging in and out of the door frame.
"Well...I really don't know. But I do know that it would be nice if you help your mother set the table?" She gives a hopeful glance. I willingly go to set out essentials.
Talking grows louder is I enter the dining room. I saw my brother and Chris at the table talking.
I walk in and first give Chris a stone cold glare. He does the same and shakes his head.
"I'm goin' to be right back" Scout claims and walks out the door extremely fast.
I try not to notice Chris staring at me. I knew my brain-dead brother had left on purpose anyways.
"Can you stop staring at me, it's making me uncomfortable" I say trying to hint I was in a bad mood.
"I wasn't" he says with seemingly no emotion in his voice.
"Yes. Yes you were" I smirk watching him squirm.
"If I had been looking at you my eyes would have been melting out of my eye sockets" he says crossing his arms.
"I could say the same for you" I say laughing seen as degrading someone was in high regards.
"...it wasn't s'post to be funny" he says sounding disappointed but cracking a smile.
I just nod my head trying not to laugh. I go back to the kitchen after setting plates and silverware and continue to help cook.

---///
I watch as Chris pours heaps of gravy onto his food. The plate was practically drowning but eventually he just kept dousing it with steaming liquid.
"Whatcha' doin' that for?" I ask watching him stop abruptly and put the gravy bowl down.
He just looked at me with a nervous twitch and a worried expression that made my heart sink.
"Y/N! I would like to talk to you in the kitchen" my mothers stern voice pierced my mind and I grimace at the thought of her chewing me out like everyday.
I use the walk of shame as my brother starts laughing behind my back but I can also feel Chris's stare like a knife in my back.
"Ma I'm sor-" I begin to say as soon as we cross into the kitchen.
"y/n!....You may not act like that to your guest! It don' matter where he comes from or who he is we do not ask questions about how he is! That's his business and it is rude to ask about what he is eatin' or how e' eats et'. Now go apologize." My mother gives me a lecture I could barely understand through her southern accent.
"Yes ma" I say and walk back into the dining room. I approach Chris and look him in the eyes going for a sincere apology.
"Chris..I'm sorry. I should not have asked you about your eatin'" I say giving a hard side glance to Scout who was laughing so hard he looked to be having a seizure. He try's not to laugh and looks me directly back in the eyes.
"I will...accept it this time. But don't let it happen again" he grins ear to ear and I swear my face was getting red to the ears. I just quietly go back and sit down.
"Scout will ya' quit yer' laughin'" I mutter and kick his leg under the table. He just gives a confused look and starts to smile and I know why. Ever since I was small I had a slight southern accent like my ma's, even though I don't come from the south and I'm not nowhere near a country folk myself it still resurfaces once and awhile.
---///
We had been watching the Johnnie Carson show, like every night, when my mom had fallen asleep on the couch and Scout had gotten yet another one of his horrible ideas.
"Let's go to the lake"
"You dumb er' somethin'?" I say watching him glare at me.
"Ugh, fine...c'mon" he stands up waving for us to follow. He leads us through the winding halls and to our back yard.
The screen door creaks open and as we step on the porch it slams behind us making the loudest boom in the county.
"You wanna' wake up ma and git' yelled at. By gods she would wake up the whole neighborhood with all the screamin'"I say, I knew I was over reacting and she wouldn't yell at us.
"y/n, you know darn well ma wouldn't yell at us for goin' outside" he says then hushing me.
"Ok, well what are we gonna' do?" Chris asks Scout as he make his weird thinking face that was made up of furrowing his eyebrows and crinkling his nose.
"I'm goin' over to get Jeremy's ball" he says and hurries off the porch and onto the lawn.
Jeremy is a friend from school who we often went to since he had more things to play around with. He would let us borrow stuff cause he knew we didn't have a set curfew and were mostly restless.
We both stand awkwardly and watch as Scout jumped over the fence on his way to the Tanners'.
"You alright Chambers?" I ask since I notice Chris had a far off look in his eyes.
"Ya...I was just thinking I guess"
"You's guess?"
"Don't you ever think?" He finally looks at me and shrugs.
"Well...I guess....what do you think about Chambers?"
"I-I don't know. It's like I have scenarios in my head and then I have these thoughts and guesses but as soon as I snap back into reality I forget about it all. What do you think about?" He asks with a smile playing at the corners of his mouth.
"Well, I was jus' thinking about how the others kids...they really aren't merciful with their thoughts about your family and you. There are really horrible stories but you... your not as bad as they portray you Chris" I say watching as a gleam appears across his eyes matching with the perfect smile. We talked until Scout got back and then gave an excuse that we were "too tired" and went inside to talk some more. We haven't been apart since.

Yup,yup,yup I know! This is totally late BUT FOR GOOD REASON! JUST HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF ONE YET! When In doubt I always just use a good book and in this case I was inspired by To Kill A Mocking Bird which is really good! In case you haven't read it! Hope you kinda enjoyed and thank you VERY much for reading! SEE YA! Well actually Good Night-Kace