REBIRTH

"Wow, Eurydice, I can't believe it's your opening day. When you told me you were going to open a bookstore, I thought you were crazy."

"People still read, you know ."

"I know, but a paperback costs sixty pounds minimum. My mom told me you could buy a paperback for five quid back in the days."

"I know. My mother says the same."

"Where should I put these books, Eurydice?"

"Oh, it's THE PLAN; it's the bestseller by Andreas Williams people are expecting it. Put them on the first display in the window."

In the meanwhile, someone hurried, "Shit, I'm late, aargh not now," Braxton said to his vibrating phone before pressing on reply.

"Hello, mom."

"So, did you get it?"

"No, mom, I haven't had time to find a bookstore to buy Andreas' book. Can't I buy it online?"

"No, Braxton, you have to buy the paperback version for Andreas to sign it."

"Mom, can't Andreas give us his books for free? I mean we're family, why do I have to buy them? He's my brother, for goodness sake."

"It's called support, Braxton."

"Mom, you know how expensive books are since that tree cutting ban in 2040."

"You have a lot of money Braxton, don't be stingy."

"I have money, which I would prefer to use to treat someone love to a romantic dinner or a trip around the world."

"Speaking of which, how's your heart, love?"

"Mom, don't worry, I'm not miserable because Susan married my best friend, she wasn't meant for me. I mean, you are the first person who told me she wasn't the one."

"You're right, love; you'll find better. I'm sure I can feel it in my bones."

"Your bones tell you a whole load of rubbish," Braxton heard his father yell in the background.

Braxton's mom didn't have to repeat it; he felt it too. He and Susan were not a match made in Heaven. Braxton knew it the day he presented his best friend Micheal, a presenter who worked for Channel 4, to her. The way their gaze meant said it all.

A few months after, Susan called it quits with Braxton, saying she felt the man was more a friend than a lover.

The surprise came when drunk as a cow, Michael begged Braxton forgiveness for dating his ex-girlfriend. The news did not shock Braxton, who wished them the best of luck, for something told him this was how things ought to be.

"Anyway, Braxton, get the book and bring it when you come over this weekend. Andreas wants to present his new girlfriend; she's a model."

"Yes, mom, I'll buy the book, and I'll have it with me when I come over," Braxton said as he got in his car, wondering where all the flying cars in Blade Runner 2049 were. In the world he lived in, cars were hydraulic, but they still had wheels.

Braxton Williams, a 30-year-old single man. Second son of Alan and Catherine Williams, a retired couple who lived in Oxford. Their first son Andreas was a best-selling author, whereas Braxton was a doctor in the children's ward of Knights Hospital.

The man was happy with the life he led. His job was fulfilling, and he felt lucky to have loving parents and an older brother he was incredibly proud of having.

Despite all this, Braxton had the sensation he missed something important, and this pained him. The man couldn't give the syndrome he had a name; all he knew was brokenhearted, which did not have anything to do with his ex-girlfriend's.