The Unknown Jungle

I got off that boat and I don't think anyone sighed a louder sigh than I did. I fell to my knees and kissed the ground praising god and making the men laugh.
"Hey check it out!" Fred yelled, grabbing Will's arm and pointing to the shore line.
"Well I'll be," I scuttled through the sand and grabbed the cricket ball that danced with the waves. I held it up and everyone cheered until a bullet made a perfect hole straight through it, then it was more of a "holy shit!" chant. I don't think I took a breath for a good minute or so, "Bloody hell!" I chuckled. I saw Dan shake his head, "that was inches off your head you do realise that?" he exclaimed almost angrily.
"Oh yes sir of course I do sir," I mocked coming out of the snipers firing range.
"Righto gentlemen partner up lets go!" Sergeant Warnes bellowed. I stepped over to Dan, who once again snarled at me like I was a rabid dog.
"You're gonna get us both killed!" he said, his eyes focusing on his boots.
"You're gonna get us both killed, you're so dramatic!" I retaliated.
"We are at war Private MacKenna," Dan reminded. I hung my head, the cricket ball in one hand and my rifle in the other.
"Mate! Can I swap with Fred please?!" I called, making a Bird fly from it's perch.
"Shut Up Private before they shoot you," was the sergeant's response.
"Stuck with him Nuisance," Fred slapped my shoulder. I sighed and trudged on through the mud.
-
My boots were sticky and we'd all run out of things to talk about by the time we got to the 'half way point', the halfway point being a part of the jungle that looked like the same part we passed two kilometres back. Anyway, it was hot, not like outback hot where you could relieve yourself with a splash of water to the face but tropical hot where a splash of water made you even hotter. Two blokes had passed out, looked like their eyes needed to be held open by match sticks. I took of my tunic and shirt and was now in my rolled up pants and suspenders. I'd never been in a place where it was hot and it rained a bucket load. It's just not how it works. The side of my slouch hat was turned down, making sure the burning droplets didn't get into my eyes.
We trudged on into the night, darkness succumbing and eventually the Sergeant decided that we were to sleep where ever we were.
"Put your shirt on, mosquitos carry malaria and I'd advise you don't contract that," Dan suggested as we settled down at the foot of a tree.
Sheepishly and tiredly I pulled on my shirt and pulled my hat down over my eyes, proud that I didn't cause an argument. About 10 minutes later Dan's head was rested against my shoulder as he slept soundly but I couldn't sleep. I was exhausted and at the point where I was to tired to sleep.
2:00 bought the annoying buzz of foreign insects and the gentle patter of rain.
"Oi Tommy Nuisance, you awake?" Will asked in a harsh whisper.
"Haven't been asleep," I replied, Dan's breathes deepened.
"Me either, I'm shaking too much," Will chuckled. I chuckled along, "not scared are ya Private Harrington?"
"Na mate," was his simple response. Not another word was spoken but neither of us fell asleep. Thoughts skipped through my head, memories of home and the tiny tin of dirt I kept in my top pocket. Dad's thick Irish accent and his angry words lingered in my ears.

*FlashBack*
"G'day Dad!" I called throwing my boots out the door.
"How's she cutting Tommy?" he replied the Irish greeting.
"Pretty well," I pressed my slouch had onto my head as I walked into the kitchen.
Dad turned to me, "What is on your head my boy?"
"Called a slouch hat Dad," I took a biscuit from the jar.
"Is that what you were doing in Copley today? Enlisting?" He yelled.
"Yeah Dad and playing footy, I thought you'd be proud," I scoffed, placing the hat on the table. Dad threw it across the room and rose to his feet.
"You're an Irishman! Not an Australian this is not our war!" I stood back, astonished by my fathers statment.
"No Dad, I'm an Australian and by the way this war is a world war hence the name World War 2," I cocked an eyebrow not intending to get slapped into next week by my father.
"No son of mine will fight in this uniform, if you did fight it'd be for Ireland," his eyes flared as I rose to my feet.
"I leave tomorrow Dad, to fight for Australia and I guess if it makes you feel better, Ireland too, you have to understand Dad," I almost pleaded.
"Get out of this house,"
*********
Those were the last words my father said to me before I left. I ended up taking a few items from my bedroom and walking into Marree to get a lift to Copley to catch the 6 o'clock train to Adelaide.
The sun rays seeped through the trees at around 5:30 am or I think that was the time. Anyway, thankfully everyone rose with the sun and we were on our way with rumbling tummies and tired eyes.
"Get enough sleep?" Dan asked through a yawn.
"Never enough," I replied. Dan reached back a pulled a hard biscuit from his pack, I looked at it and remember the whole bloody bakery my Grandma made me pack while at her shop in Marree. No I'm not taking it out with these hungry gutted bastards are around, well not until we get to camp.
"Do you want some Tom?" Dan asked, his blonde hair no longer immaculate but stuck in sweaty strands to his brow.
"Don't take food from strangers," I said, I don't think I could've came back with anything worse.
Dan laughed, "dickhead," he mumbled.
I reached behind and pulled out my bar of rich dark chocolate and hungrily but into it. I didn't think I'd ever been so hungry in my life, little did I know what was to come.