19. Happy

Half an hour later, Hannah pushed the door closed after Gale and Emily and turned back to her brother.

"Don't fret, I don't intend on cockblocking you," she told Matt, grinning. "Does he know that you like him?"

"Wha...what?" Matt sputtered, giving her a shocked look. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh please," she said. She walked back to his bed and took a seat. "It's clear you don't want him taking me anywhere. I'm not going to steal him, Matt."

"What are you talking about?" He rolled his eyes and scoffed. "You're crazy, Hannah."

"I'd totally agree to that if Harry hasn't been driving me to my last nerve with questions about you," she said, her brow arched.

Matt's bored off expression fell off his face, and he tried to look nonchalant. "Harry?"

"Harry McCall. Tall, hot, brooding? As if you would forget."

"Oh, Harry? Why would he be asking about me?" Matt asked, his eyes stuck on his hand cast, studiously looking at the writings.

Hannah's eyes narrowed as she watched him closely. "Thought you'd know," she said.

"What did he say?" Matt asked.

"Just seemed particularly pissed that you disappeared without telling him. I had no idea you and Harry were close."

Matt sighed. "We weren't."

"He had me thinking otherwise," she said, gnawing on her bottom lip.

Matt shrugged. They were quiet for a considerable while.

"Stop looking at me like that," Matt said when Hannah continued giving him a scrutinizing look.

Hannah sighed and sat back. "Nothing you want to tell me?"

His eyes shot to her. "Like?"

She shrugged. "You tell me."

He shook his head. "Maybe... you seem happy."

Hannah gave a short laugh and decided to go ahead with his evasive statement. "Is that bad?"

"No. It's just that--"

"I'm never happy?" She cut in.

"Yeah, well... Did Mum ask you to be all bubbly for me or..."

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Oh please, get over yourself, Matthew."

"You didn't sound so happy when we talked on Friday, is all. What happened?"

Hannah shrugged and rose from the bed. "Nothing."

"You are always calling me in the middle of depression throes, Hannah. How about you share your joys with me too?" He suggested.

She moved to the window. "Maybe you won't be happy for me."

"That's crap, why not? You are happy, Hannah. And let's face it, you are never happy. So I think I'll be thrilled about whatever has you smiling."

Hannah stood at the window, facing outwards and silent. Matt said nothing, giving her time.

"You know I've been clean for six months now, right?" She said at last.

Matt cleared his throat. "Yes, I know."

"I know I've been difficult for long, but you trust me right?"

Matt frowned, nodding. "I do," he said, trying to think of where the conversation could possibly be headed.

"I met someone," she said.

Matt's eyes went momentarily wide. "Huh?"

"Well, not exactly met him, since I've known him forever, but...we just got together so..." Hannah trailed off, shrugging.

"You have a boyfriend," Matt deduced.

Hannah nodded, still facing away from him.

"What is it you are afraid to tell me?" He asked, realising she was being hesitant.

"You might flip, when you know who he is?"

"Who is it?"

Hannah looked back at him, her eyes pleading. "I love him, Matt. And he's clean now, too."

Matt's brow dipped. "Too?"

"He makes me happy, okay? And I haven't been happy in a long time, Matt."

"Trust me, I know that. Who is he?"

Hannah bit down on her lower lip and wrung her hands together. Matt raised his brow, waiting. Hannah took a deep breath.

"Zain."

Matt continued looking at her expectantly for a few more seconds, before her answer registered in his mind. With shock.

"What?"

Hannah said nothing, knowing very well he had heard her.

Matt shook his head. "You're kidding right?"

She sighed. "I knew you would flip."

"Of course, Hannah. He is a stupid junkie!"

"I told you he has been..."

"Clean? Zain Havelley? That guy is a freaking menace, Hannah. I thought we agreed you would keep away from him."

"And I did, but he changed too and..."

"You seriously got to be kidding about this, Hannah. Does mum know? Dad?"

Hannah turned towards him, horrified. "No! Don't you say a word to them, Matthew!"

"He'll drag you back down with him, Hannah. Stay away from him!" Matt ordered.

"Can't you see? I'm happy, Matt!"

Matt's right hand shot to his head, raking through his dark hair. "This is insane."

"You said you'd be happy for me," she reminded him.

"Not with Zain, no. He is a trouble maker," Matt argued.

"You haven't even met him of late, Matt. You don't know how he is like now."

"For heaven's sake, Hannah. This is a guy who dealt you drugs of all kinds and almost had you dead, what the fuck am I supposed to say about him?"

"Well I don't fucking care what you think about him, Matt." Hannah snapped, her voice rising.

"Dad will have you back to the rehab centre the moment he finds out," Matt said.

"Well he won't find out, unless you tell him?" She said, glaring, challenging.

"I'm actually of half a mind to tell him," he warned. "I will not stand by and watch you slide back, Hannah. You were doing great."

"I'm better than I've been for years, Matt!" She shrieked, moving from the window.

"And do you know what got you where you were back then?" He asked. "Bad company, Hannah. And now you are dating Zain? What the hell?"

"He's clean," she yelled.

"I don't fucking care!"

Hannah took deep breaths, trying to calm herself. Her hands were folded into tight fists, her nails biting into the soft skin of her palm. Her face was flushed with anger.

"Fuck you, Matthew!" She spat, moving towards the door.

"Wait!" Matt called, trying to rise from the bed but falling back onto the pillows right away when a sharp pain shot up his back.

Hannah paid him no mind, going ahead to pull the door open.

And came face to face with Gale, his hand raised as if ready to knock.

__________________________________

Update: I keep mixing names I just realised I have two Scotts 😨 I'm changing the name of the one here. I've put Harry. I don't have another Harry do I?