24. Party, Girls and More Kisses 🎉

When Gale pulled up to Kellan's house, it was obviously already crowded, with cars lining up the street. He had to park three houses from Kellan's. In the back of his brain, he wondered how wise it had been to come in his truck while he intended to get as drunk as humanly possible.

Then he dismissed the thought, deciding it would be dealt with when the time came.

Loud music was coming from the house, and he wondered whether the neighbours hadn't called in a complaint yet. Some kids were out on the porch, and he pushed past them into the house. The living room was crowded, but his eyes landed on the drinks table at the far end, and he made a beeline for it.

Someone came in his way however, stopping him in his tracks. He looked up to find Mellisa Hayes's heavily made up eyes trained on him.

"Here," she said, thrusting a red beer cup his way.

He took it, and tipped it back into his mouth, until it was empty.

She winked at him, twirling a strand of hair between her fingers. "Somebody's in the mood, uh?"

"Hell yeah," he replied.

Mellisa grabbed his hand and pulled him with her. "Come on, I'll show you the strong stuff."

In the space of an hour, Gale was plastered.

"Babe, no, nothing more," Mellisa cooed, taking his cup from him.

The fact that he wasn't bothered by her pet naming him proved how far gone he was. They were sitting on one of the couches, and he tried to stand up, only to stumble back.

She wrapped a hand around his arm. "Keep still."

"Bath...room," he murmured.

"Oh, okay," she said and rose, bringing him with her. She supported him all the way, and waited outside while he finished his business.

Gale stumbled to the toilet, fell on his knees and retched his stomach out, the most awful of stenches hitting him in the face. He hated this, the throwing up, and it was part of the reason he didn't like drinking. He hadn't taken alcohol since the party at Toni's, and he hadn't planned on taking it again.

After he was done, he flushed the loo and stumbled to the sink. He washed his hands, rinsed his mouth and splashed his face. Then he leaned against the wall, ashamed at how low he had sunk.

A minute or so later, he remembered that Mellisa was out in the hall waiting for him. Wiping at his face with the hem of his shirt, he left the bathroom.

When he emerged, she took his hand and pulled him through the crowded house, to the back.

"Where?" He asked, meaning to ask where they were going. All he wanted to do was lay down somewhere and stop feeling so bad.

"Out back, fresh air."

Only there was no fresh air in the backyard, because that was where several kids were hiding out, smoking. Gale groaned and moved further, away from the smoke.

"Gale?" Someone called from behind him.

Gale turned to see who it was, and almost fell on his ass due to the sudden dizziness that hit him. Someone grabbed his arm though, keeping him upright. It was Evan, sober and looking at him with concern all over his face.

"You need a ride?" He asked, giving Melissa a sharp stare that had her moving away from the two.

"Guess," Gale replied, in place of 'I guess'.

"Came in your truck?" Evan asked.

Gale nodded.

"Cool, sit tight, I'm gonna get you someone to get you home," Evan promised.