44. I Never Lied

Matt's pov

He is here, he is right in front of me, but I can't seem to find anything to say. Maybe I wasn't as ready as I had thought I'd be. I hadn't expected it to hit me so hard, I hadn't expected to come running back to him like a lost puppy. Two weeks were barely over, and it had taken me a couple of days to realise I was fighting against a force that I couldn't control, that I couldn't ignore.

I could only hope I hadn't completely lost him in the midst of my confusion and stupid decision.

Evan is the first to commence walking towards me, then the others follow, with Scott right behind him.

"Spencer? What are you doing here?" He asks, frowning.

I straighten up, my eyes searching out Gale, then reluctantly going back to Evan. "Camp," I say.

"Are you in that room?" He asks, nodding towards the door behind me.

I nod.

"So coach got it for you?" He asks again.

I nod.

"You're still on the team?" Scott asks.

I nod.

"But you left?" Evan questions, giving me a dubious look.

I swallow. My eyes search out Gale again because this is for him. "I changed my mind."

His eyes shoot to me, and for a second I'm imprisoned in their gaze. Scott asks something in a high voice, surprised, but all my focus is on Gale. He breaks from the others and starts out towards me. I tense.

I've always had a good hold of everything in my life. My emotions, my actions, my reactions. That hold goes to shit when it comes to this guy.

Now, my entire body tenses, not sure what to expect as he comes closer.

He walks past me, not giving me a single glance.

Evan and Scott now completely forgotten, I lurch forward and reach for his hand. My fingers wrap around his and I pull him to a stop.

"Gale, please," I beg, and swallow hard.

"Bullshit," he curses, snapping his hand from my hold roughly. "Fuck off, Matt."

"Gale--"

But he's already disappearing into the room right beside mine. I don't give him the chance to shut it in my face, however. I push into it and then close it behind me, leaning my back against it. "Just listen to me," I plead.

He paces to the other end of the room and shoots a cold glare my way. "Remember when I wanted you to listen? REMEMBER?"

The last part comes out in an enraged roar. I'm about to say something when he points a finger at me.

"You will not do this to me again, Matt. You're going leave now."

"Gale--"

"Get out," he interrupts.

"I'm not going anywhere until you listen to me," I declare adamantly.