Chapter 1

Dedicated to kweenlahrah

The urgent sounds of the horses as their hooves hit the ground with an emergency rhythm could be heard even from afar.

The people quickly made way for the soldiers that rode by, fully dressed in armour. A peddler watched as they headed towards the palace and shook his head.

"It doesn't look good. I tell you there are rumors that the emperor will be surrendering to the troops of the Jukun"

The woman who had been listening to him widened her eyes. "Be careful what you say" she whispered and looked around "you never know who may listening".

The peddler cautiously looked around and swallowed, touched his neck and quickly moved from the place.

At the palace, the ministers were all holding their breaths as the emperor read the letter a luitenant brought back from the battle front.
His nostrils flared and his eyes widened, fury boiling in them.

"How dare them? They dare let the enemy take over Zuhui port!" He flung the report down and it landed on a minister's head. The man trembled and knelt on the floor, his body shaking from fear and fright.

"Your majesty, this subject asking you to ease your temper"

The other ministers followed suit, all of them were afraid and no one wanted to face the wrath of an angry ruler. They remained in the position for a while, the emperor looked at them, letting out a hot breath from his lips.

"Defense minister" he called the man he had hit with the decree earlier and the man trembled again as he stood with shaky legs.

"This subject is at your Majesty's call"

"Why have our soldiers become this slack? A common band of barbarians have managed to overcome our special eagle army? We give you all a month, one month to wipe them off from this world and send them Lord Dou* or we will execute eight generations"

"Have mercy your Majesty" they bowed their heads and chanted. The emperor strode to the door and left the courtroom leaving the ministers drenched in sweat.

At Zi Shen palace, the empress's residence.

"Your Majesty must not strain yourself too much. You are the pillar of this nation"

She spoke sweet words into his ear and massaged his shoulders gently. The emperor was a bit satisfied with the flattery and hummed in agreement. Empress Ni an  smiled and gave her son, the second prince a look indicating something.

"Yes imperial father. Imperial mother is right, you have to take care of your body and leave a thousand more years"

The emperor laughed, a bit of his tension gone. "Xu ji is right, emperor father will leave for a long time healthy" The frown between his brows gone.

"Princess Xu Wei has arrived"

A eunuch announced from outside and a frown appeared on the empress's face which she quickly changed to a smile.

Emperor raised his eyes and watched the door just as a young lady walked in. She was wearing a light blue dress and a pink  ribbon on her long black hair with beads made small clink sounds as she moved.

His eyes lightened and a small smile was tugging at the corner of his lips as the girl approached him. He stretched his arm beckoning her "come quickly Wei, emperor father has missed you"

Xu Wei placed her soft hand in her father's and smiled, it was like the flowers were blooming earlier.

"Imperial father, this daughter heard the news from the battle front. Imperial father must not stress himself too much or this daughter will be very worried and sad"