Chapter 4

Dedicated to RoxetteSucayan and BuckwheatFlower

At the Hua Nation.

The ambassador sent to bring the wedding proposal shivered and let out a shaky breath. He had arrived for while and was yet to see the ruler.

"Her Majesty, Empress Regent has arrived"

Ambassador Nian stood up with a bit of shock in his mind. The ruler was a woman? Yet this fact had been closely guarded and he could only imagine Emperor Xu's fury when he learned he had been forced down by a woman.

"Let us seat ambassador" Cui Fei empress wore a furry brown coat and had a black cap over her long straight hair. She took the main seat and collected a cup of steaming tea "Why has Fu Lang sent an ambassador here? Are you not afraid for your life?"

The way she said Fu Lang made ambassador Nian to really start worrying if he would leave alive. The only thing that assured him a little was the unspoken law between the four nations that ambassadors were not to be harmed.

"Do not be afraid ambassador Nian" Empress regent laughed "I like to have a laugh. Tell me why you have come" her face grew serious, every little bit of humor gone as if it was never there.

"Your Majesty" he made a full bow and raised the scroll. A Court lady collected it from him and bowed her head as the empress stretched her hand.

Ambassador Nian's eyes were looking down so he could not read her expression. "A political marriage?" She laughed "has Fu Lang fallen so low? I was expecting more of a fight, didn't expect that the new recruits would be able to do so much"

Ambassador Nian was sure that if he relayed the same words to Emperor Xu, then it would be his head on a spike.

"There is no reason to refuse since Emperor Xu has asked for Mercy. We, at Hao are naturally lenient."
Sarcasm was dripping from her voice.

At Fu Lang Imperial Court.

The court was silent, everyone listened as Ambassador Nian related the words of the Empress Regent back to Emperor Xu who's expression hardened the moment he heard the other party was ruled by a woman.

"Ambassador Nian has spent a few days in the Hao." Emperor Xu spoke and everyone was surprised as they expected him to erupt in a fury or similar.  "Tell us how the weather is and its landscape"

"Hua nation is extremely cold and they wear thick coats all the time, sipping warm water as well. They are surrounded by mountains and trees, very far from the plain roads. Their houses are built on top each other and the imperial palace is in the heart of the city itself."

Emperor Xu was troubled, he was not assured that sending his only daughter there would be wise but neither did the continuous sacrifice of lives seem wiser.

"Emperor father, son begs to have a word" Xu Li spoke cupping his hands and received barely noticeable nod "Imperial Father has always taught son to be steady at heart, calm in eyes. Son implores imperial Father to remember."

Crown Prince had seen through his thoughts. How could he not? He knew how Xu Wei was doted on and if he had not been born from the same womb as she was, he would have been wary of her.

Emperor Xu sighed "fine. We will send Wei off by the next full moon. When is that?" His eyes landed on the Royal grand secretary "in response to your Majesty" the man bowed "The next full moon will be in three days time."

At Yi Nin palace.

"Highness, servant would like to ask why highness wants to take this path"

Xu Wei looked at the maidservant she had grown up with. This servant knew her almost better than anyone else and she hid almost nothing from her.

Why she was taking this path?

"Yu Kai" she called softly and stood up to walk outside. Yu Kai was afraid her question had offended Princess Wei and hurried to bow "servant was wrong. Servant asked a question and upset princess. Please punish servant"

Princess Wei laughed "stand up and listen to what highness wants to say"

"Highness, Highness" a far call caught their attention and they turned to see a flustered eunuch running towards them.

"What is it?" Yu Kai snapped at the young eunuch who bowed his head respectfully. "Highness, people have come from the court to pass a decree"

Princess Wei rushed back to her palace, a long train of servants and eunuchs were waiting. Leading them was the Grand Royal Secretary.

"Xu Wei is ready to receive the imperial decree". She knelt with the support of her servants and the Grand Royal Secretary took the decree that was written in a golden paper and began to read out.

" Princess Xu Wei is a virtuous lady and has filial piety. She has fulfilled her duty so many times to the common people and has a kind heart.
Princess Xu Wei will depart to Hua on the next full moon for a diplomatic marriage and end the war.

Her sacrifice will always be acknowledged and as such, she is removed from her title of Princess Xu and bestowed that of Fun Lang Princess. From henceforth, Fu Lang is not a nation to her, Fu Lang is family and she will be called Fu Lang Wei." He folded the decree and handed it to her " accept the dragon's decree"

Princess Wei collected it and stood up to perform a full bow. "This subject daughter accept Your Majesty's decree"

The other people there then bowed to her "greetings to Fu Lang princess"

At Zi Shen palace.

Tang!!! The sounds of things breaking could be heard. "Majesty please calm down, do not be angry. It isn't good for your health"

Empress Zi an threw another vase in a fury and it sliced her arm. The maid hurried to her. "He bestows the Fu Lang title that has only been given twice in history of Fu Lang to her so easily?" She winced as the maid cleaned her wound.

"I think it will be best if she isn't able to reach Hua" empress Zi An threw a look at her head maidservant who bowed "this servant understands and will go prepare"