Chapter 17: Zayn

Scars And a Cup of Coffee

Zayn jolted awake as his head hit the table. He looked around realizing he wasn't in his kitchen reading War & Peace but in his classical literature lecture. He wiped the saliva on his cheek off with his jumper sleeve, shaking his head to toss away the last remainder of sleep.

It had been nearly a month of studying at the University, and he enjoyed every moment. Really, he did enjoy it. But last night he had been helping Harry with trying to find a loophole in a contract for the cafe, while balancing the reading of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for his advanced thinking class, and sleep was a very small window of opportunity for him.

But he smiled as last night came to mind. It was nice, Harry came over with a ton of work in hand and Zayn had to study. It was a night spent in comfortable silence, and it was more than he could ask for.

Summer was nearing, nearly a month away and Zayn was dreading it. That meant hotter temperatures, and having to make weird excuses as to why he was wearing long sleeves in the middle of a heat wave. To say he wasn't particularly going to enjoy it was an understand. That also meant no more tans, and no more feeling the waves of water lapping at his skin. Zayn could practically feel the disappointment swelling in his chest.

He heard the bell, signalling the end of the hour and all the students were already making their ways to the doors. He neatly put the paper for his essay objectives in a folder while gently putting his laptop in its bag. He didn't have another lecture until three, so that meant he could catch a bite and get a head start on his studies.

He shuffled his way through the crowd hoping that the bus wasn't too crowded today – he preferred to sit alone, especially on a day like today where the spring chill wasn't doing much for the over bearing sunlight – he hated the smell of sweaty people moseying about. Not that Zayn was a complete arse about that sort of thing, because honestly everyone smelled every once in a while. He just liked to think that he was germ free.

Zayn stepped through the crowd, getting out to the sidewalk without too much hassle. Now all he had to do was get to the bus sto-

Zayn jumped when a car pulled up in front of him and honked. He was about to yell at the little turd inside before he realized he knew who's car it was. "Hello, Harold."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Oh, get in ya' dork."

Zayn slipped inside the chilled Range Rover, pecking Harry on the cheek as he buckled in his seatbelt. Harry smiled before looking at the road and driving back into the chaos that was traffic.

***

It was nearly two when Zayn finally got uncomfortable under the weight of a sleeping Harry. He had finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea only minutes ago and was mentally preparing himself for the essay he had to write on the character study of Captain What's-His-Face, and how his personality would influence any young adults reading it. Zayn understood why it could be considered "advanced thinking" but he didn't see the point; instead of writing an essay about it, they should be doing surveys. Because it was the kids that mattered, not some grown ups deciding how the grumpy man in the book would influence teens across the country.

It was stupid, but he needed that bachelors degree, and he had to do this kind of thing to get it.

Harry grumbled something about lawyers and pancakes before nuzzling further into Zayn's chest. Zayn sighed kissing brown curls, Harry's hair was wet from the shower he took and hadn't had the chance to put his array of hair product in it, letting his curls be untamed and wild. The lad needed to get back to work at 2:30 and the clock was staring at him disapprovingly.

Zayn shook his boyfriends shoulder,  enjoying the sight of Harry scrunching up his face like he ate a lemon. "You need to get back to work, love, and I have a class in an hour."

Harry grumbled something into his neck along the lines of work being Satan in disguise, and that the hot chocolate machine was out to get him. Zayn laughed hysterically, jostling Harry back to the land of the living.

Harry shifted lazily, not caring if he elbowed Zayn in the stomach or anything at all, he was only satisfied when he was straddling Zayn with an accomplished sleepy smirk on his face.

"I don't want to go back." Harry cooed as he traced the outline of Zayn's lips with his thumb. "'m tired."

He leaned down kissing Zayn. Zayn felt the slight tingle, could feel it spread across his face and down his neck. He gripped the back of Harry's neck, only just enough to pull him impossibly closer. His boyfriend groaned, and Zayn could feel the twitch at the corner of Harry's lips, one of the tell tale signs Harry had something on his mind.

Zayn was about to pull back and ask why, but his question was answered as Harry's long fingers trailed across his shirt and under. Slowly tracking up his abdomen, and Zayn didn't mind until he felt Harry go to grip at his waist.

Zayn panicked, harshly grabbing Harry's wrist to make it stop, and their moment was ruined. Harry whined in pain, and Zayn let go, shaken by the gravity of what he just did.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Harry," Zayn ground out as he inspected his boyfriend's wrist, making sure he hadn't just bruised the fair skin he loved so much.

"It's fine, Zayn."

"No, it's not. I didn't mean to hurt you, are you okay?"

Harry took his hand away from Zayn's grasp and cupped his face. "I'm fine, it's alright. I should've thought about how you'd feel about it before I did it, okay? If anything, it should be me asking that."

Zayn inhaled. "I'm still sorry."

Harry chuckled, "Don't be." Harry kissed Zayn on the nose. "We're still figuring things out, babe. We need to lay down our boundaries but we haven't even set them yet. So come on, it's alright."

"Okay, H, whatever you say." Zayn answered, leaning forward so their foreheads touched. "But we really need to get going, we've got places to be, people to impress."

Harry laughed when Zayn picked him up and set him down. "Work is still Satan."

Zayn gave Harry an incredulous look. "Not my religion, smartass."

.

.

.

.

A/N: Well, aren't they just adorkable? AND OMG SCARS GOT THIRD IN 1D BROMANCE AWARDS, EEK!  THANK YOU GUYS!

COMMENT, VOTE, or FAN!

-Mitchi