69

Carrie groaned when she was woken up by the doorbell ringing. Her arms were wrapped around Harrison, and she laid comfortably against his chest.

When the doorbell rang for the second time, Harrison woke up. He looked past her at at the clock on her nightstand that read 12:43 am. He swore and reached for his phone.

"Who the hell is ringing the doorbell at midnight?"

"Riley's probably going to start crying soon."

He rolled onto his side and faced Carrie again. She watched him open the CPI Security app and look for the doorbell camera. After doing all those commercials for the local CPI Security, they gave him a free security system that worked exactly like ADT.

As if one cue, Riley started crying when the person rang the doorbell for the third time. Then they heard a thud from downstairs.

Carrie wished that she didn't look at his phone when he patched into the doorbell camera. Standing at the door was the creepiest thing she had ever seen. The person was dressed in a clown costume that was stained all red with 'blood.' The clown also wore an eye patch and had a fake knife sticking out of the side of its head.

She buried her face in his chest, definitely not expecting to see that outside the front door. "Do you think this is some sort of Halloween prank? The resurgence of the killer clowns?"

Halloween was less than two weeks away and Carrie wondered if this was somebody trying to get in some early scares.

Harrison shook his head. "No."

He was on his feet before Carrie threw the covers off her body. "Where are you going?"

"To tell this idiot I don't appreciate his company right now."

She was on her feet and following him down the stairs and into the dark. Harrison's loud footsteps could be heard as he stomped over to the front door with Carrie on his heels.

He opened the door and almost had his head taken off by a wooden baseball bat. Harrison backed right up into Carrie and pushed her back. There were two clowns. The doorbell camera didn't pick up the other when Harrison was looking at it.

Harrison didn't have a chance to ask what they wanted. The two men attacked him. He was going to be no match for the two men with heavy wooden baseball bats.

He slid forward on the floor and avoided a swing from the clown on his right. But the clown on his left hit him square in his left shoulder.

Debbie emerged at the top of the stairs with Wilson. As soon as she saw what was going on, she let go of Wilson who bounded down the stairs. Carrie tried to stop the big German Shepherd as he passed by, for fear that he'd be hit with one of the bats, but it was no use. Wilson and all his momentum easily overpowered her.

Harrison again dodged a bat. Then he quickly pushed one clown into the wall closest to the front door, and yanked his mask off. He punched the man as the other clown caught him off guard with a strike to his back. Harrison fell to the floor as the clown he'd just pushed against the wall punched him.

Wilson saved him. As the second clown got ready to hit him again, Wilson jumped up and bit the hand that was holding the bat. Then Carrie made a move. Before the man could hurt Wilson she ran at him, giving Harrison only one person to fight.

She used everything he'd taught her over the last year about tackling. Carrie grabbed the clown around the waist and hit him hard. She went flying with the clown into the other wall where he banged his head against the wall.

With a snarling Wilson by her side, Carrie quickly got to her feet and ran to their closet in the hallway just before it opened up into the living room. She quickly opened the door and punched in the code on the safe. 0311. The day they got married. The safe opened with a click and Carrie grabbed one of his handguns.

She slammed the safe closed and ran back to the front door. The man she tackled tried to hit Wilson, but missed. And Harrison was getting the other clown with some good punches.

The man Carrie tackled was trying to get to his feet. "Don't move or I shoot." As soon as he heard the safety click off, he put his hands in the air and knelt down in front of her.

Meanwhile, the police pulled in the driveway. At least the security system did something. The guy battling Harrison got off a quick punch and made a run for it out the front door. He didn't get that far before the linebacker caught up to him and took him down.

The police got to Harrison first. He slowly got off the man's back as two officers grabbed his arms and handcuffed him. More officers found her in the house. As soon as they came in and took control of the man, Carrie put the safety back on and unloaded the cartridge in the gun before setting it on the table beside the doorway.

Debbie sat down beside her daughter on the first step of the staircase. "Are you okay Carrie?"

"I'm okay mom."

Harrison slowly made his way inside and sat on the other side of her. He gave her a fist bump. "We did it."

"We did it."