Chapter 15: Attracted

Bandwagon.

Iyan ang pangunahin at paulit-ulit na issue na nababasa ko sa internet tuwing NBA Finals. I don't get why fans have to categorize themselves as to who's real and who's fake when they can both enjoy the game without having to throw stones at each other. Does it uplift their spirit, knowing they've been a solid fan since the beginning? Does it give them the right to demand the others to back off just because they weren't with them from the start? Paano naman 'yong gusto lang maglibang? Paano naman iyong walang ibang mapanood? Hindi na pwedeng manood? Hindi ako mahilig sa basketball pero nanonood ako kapag wala talaga akong mapaglibangan. I'm trying to consider the fans' opinion about the bandwagon issue but seriously, I do believe there should be no standards. Even the teams don't put standards as to who they want their fans to be. Pwera na lang talaga d'on sa iba na nakidyu-join lang para mangaway ng ibang fandom. It's no different from kpop world. Fanwars are everywhere.

Going back, FINALS is the most crucial point of a basketball season, may it be in NBA or in an ordinary summer league. Knowing my cousins have reached that stage was already an achievement. I want to show them that I am proud of what they have achieved and that I support them until the end despite not really being there from the start and not being there in every game. I want to show them that I care.

That's the reason why I was heading towards the car with my heart beating heavily. I couldn't watch my cousins' championship game. My mother asked me to come with her to Montana for another medical mission. I tried to decline but she was insistent.

"Pero inaasahan nilang manonood ako," I told mom earlier.

"Since when did you care about watching basketball? Would you rather attend a game than serve the community? Which do you think is worth your time, Persephone?"

I wasn't able to counter that because if we were going to weigh things according to importance, the medical mission was out of question.

Byernes ng gabi na namin napag-usapan ni Mommy ang tungkol doon at sinubukan ko ulit kanina pero wala talagang pagbabago kaya naman hindi ko nasabihan agad ang mga pinsan ko. Kailangan ko pa mag-isip nang magandang sasabihin para hindi nila masamain ang hindi ko panonood. They've been so good and accommodating to me yet here I am still staying away.

I texted Ronna as I settled in the back seat. Hindi siya nakapagreply kaagad. Hindi rin naman ako handa sa irereply niya kaya kahit tumunog pa ang cellphone ko, hindi ko muna ito titingnan.

Mommy's talking with someone on the phone. Tsini-check niya kung maayos na ba ang lahat sa Montana. Hindi ko naririnig ang sagot ng nasa kabilang linya pero base sa tono ng kanyang pananalita, mukhang maayos naman ang lahat.

I entertained myself with the fresh greeneries outside of the window. The signage 'Welcome to Marsielles' caught my attention and I felt bad again. We're passing Marsielles now. All I have to do is to halt the car and traipse to the gymnasium, but I can't and I won't because that would be so unethical of me. Guess, I just have to rely onto the future next times I could get because this certainly wasn't the last.

I looked around again and let the sight of nature instill peace in my mind. The music coming from the stereo enveloped my ear as I slowly closed my eyes hanggang sa tuluyang akong nakatulog. Nagising na lang ako nang gisingin ako ni Mommy pagkarating namin sa Montana.

"We're here, Percy. Fix yourself and get out," aniya sa'kin habang kinukusot ko ang aking mga mata. I peered at the window and saw a familiar figure standing outside the car, waiting for someone to come out, his hands inside his pockets.

Naunang lumabas si Mommy at kaagad siyang binati ni Connor.

"Good morning, Dra. Violeta."

Nakita kong nagtagpo sila ni Mommy sa kinatatayuan niya. My mother's smiling at him.