30

Coyly was putting it lightly, Bilbo coyly and uncertainly followed after Balin as he walked quietly down a corridor. The others were back near the entrance, it seemed Balin had no problems with acting as a guide here. When they reached the end of the corridor, it didn't reach a dead end, it instead did a sharp turn and led to another corridor.

Balin stopped at the new opening and looked to Bilbo as he stopped too. He still coyly stood, peeking around the corner, all he saw was darkness. Darkness which had who knows what lurking in it; a dragon being the most obvious, but in Bilbo's mind there were other horrible things lurking in the shadows waiting for some poor unsuspecting creature to shuffle in.

"You want me to find a jewel?" He asked quietly, he didn't want to raise his voice. It'd cause an echo effect, and that wasn't something he wanted.

"A large white jewel, yes." Balin replied as frankly as he could. He placed his hands on his hips and looked at Bilbo as he took a step forwards and looked down the corridor.

He frowned lightly and wrung his hands, shuffling from foot to foot and looking over his shoulder, Bilbo leaned forwards slightly. "Th-that's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there." He said honestly, still keeping his voice low.

Balin sighed and looked at him, "There's only one Arkenstone, and you'll know it when you see it." Turning slowly, Balin commenced walking down the other corridor which had opened up. There was the slightest of light to illuminate their way. Regardless of this, Balin seemed to know where he was going without the need of light.

"Right," Bilbo said sounding more unsure now than he did earlier on. Turning slowly, he looked to Balin, moving forwards he walked after him. When Balin stopped and reached up to place his hand against the stone wall, Bilbo stopped by his side and looked at him curiously.

"In truth, lad. I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonour in turning back." Balin said honestly, and heavily. It was the truth. He had no idea what the inside of Erebor had become since being under Smaug's rule. He looked to Bilbo as he spoke this, the hobbit in turn looked at him blankly, listening intently to his words.

Tilting his head to the side, Bilbo shook his head slowly. "No, Balin. I promised I would do this and I think I must try." Bilbo said trying to sound as confident as he could.

It didn't seem to work that well because Balin let out a low chuckle. Bilbo looked to him quickly then to the pathway ahead and then back again. "It never ceases to amaze me." Balin said while looking to Bilbo. He was still chuckling slightly as he spoke, he shook his head and looked to Bilbo as he looked at him with confusion.

"What's that?" Bilbo looked curious of his answer.

"The courage of hobbits. Go now, with as much luck as you can muster." Balin smiled, he got a slightly strained smile from Bilbo in return. With a nod, and slow careful steps, Bilbo took a few steps forward. A set of stairs suddenly greeted him and with quiet speed, he started to descend. "Oh, and Bilbo?" Balin said from the top of the stairs.

"Hm?" Bilbo turned in mid-step and looked back up at the white haired dwarf.

"If there is in fact a um...a live dragon down there; don't wake it." Balin struggled to say, he genuinely struggled to think of the right words to use. Yet he got there eventually and spoke seriously, Bilbo's expression went slack as he just nodded and turned to continue on his way.

Getting to the end of this small staircase, Bilbo lifted his hand up and turned to say one last thing, he opened his mouth to speak and then shut it again when he saw Balin's form skim around the corner. He was gone, and he was now on his own. Awkwardly wriggling his fingers, he sighed and gave a nod before looking to the darkened way before him. After walking along the corridor, and another small staircase, Bilbo reached yet another corridor. Only this one seemed to open up at the end.