31

"Can you not do something?" Were the only words which Fíli could think to use. Below him laying on a bed was Kíli. He wasn't in too good shape, from earlier on he had lost consciousness again, only to wake again and be in agony. He laid now letting out pained groans, Fíli stood right by his brother's side, he had no intention of leaving him.

Bofur was elsewhere in the room collecting water, while Óin sat trying to tend to Kíli's wound. Náriel was trying her best to look through drawers and cupboards in an effort to find something which could be of use. Though when Bard caught what she was doing she sheepishly smiled and awkwardly moved off to help Óin.

"I need herbs, something to bring down his fever." Óin replied to Fíli's earlier words while casting him a quick look as Kíli gave an uncomfortable fidget on the bed.

Bard had picked up what Náriel was doing and pulled some pouches from a cupboard she couldn't quite reach. If she stood on a chair she could, but she didn't think that was wise. Shuffling over, she looked them over with a frown. "We have nightshade, feverfew..." Bard said while looking over to the bed where the dwarves were.

"They're no use to me. Do you have any Kingsfoil?" Óin asked while quickly glancing at him.

"No, it's a weed. We feed it to the pigs." Bard retorted though he got a strange look shot at him by Náriel, who evidently didn't agree with his words.

"Pigs?!" Bofur perked up over hearing this. No one else really paid notice to his odd moment. "Weed? Right," he turned and pointed a finger at Kíli, who just glanced at him, Óin and Fíli looked at him oddly. "Don't move," like Kíli could even if he wanted to right now. "You," he rushed down and pointed at Náriel, "Come with me."

"Please," she said while narrowing her eyes. Orders weren't something she'd like to follow through with when they were literally just shot at her.

"Please," Bofur just clasped onto her arm and dragged her away. She wanted to stay with Kíli, though standing by his side wasn't going to really bring him much aid. For comfort, Fíli was doing a much better job than she could ever do.

"What's your plan?" Náriel asked while they ran down from Bard's house.

"We need to find the pig pens." Bofur replied while they ran down the wooden boarding. The path shifted underneath their weight, and water rippled outward slowly.

"Split up?"

"Exactly, I'll go this way, you go that way." He pointed and then turned and darted off.

Náriel stood and watched him go. Blinking slowly, she turned and started to run off. She had to dodge out of the way of the few people who were loitering around. No one really paid her much mind though. It seemed the novelty of them all being here had rubbed off. It made it easier for her to go about this task she was set. She didn't want to have to keep getting stopped to idly chat about something of no importance.

Back in the warm home, Kíli remained still in pain on the bed with Fíli beside him trying his best to soothe his brother. Yet he was getting worse. Nothing he seemed to say could stop his brother from squirming and fidgeting in pain. Even Óin now stood at a loss, until Bofur and Náriel returned there was nothing he could do. There was silence all for a matter of a moment before the house gave a worrying shudder. The ceiling creaked and dust fell down from the rafters.

"Da?" Sigrid said sounding worried.

"It's coming from the Mountain." Bain said while looking from the window and then over to his father.

"You should leave us," Fíli turned from Óin and Kíli and took a step towards where Bard stood at the table. His dark eyes flicked to look over in his direction. "Take your children and get out of here."