Chapter 4

Trey's POV

Well, I'm officially done with day 1 of senior year! Time to celebrate! By going to work..

I headed straight to the dairy king after school. My shift started at 4:30 Pm.
"Hey Trey" my coworker, Tarrant, acknowledged me as I walked in.

 "Hey man, what's up? " I asked while grabbing my uniform from my bag, 

"oh you know, just the usual, what about you?"

 "survived first day of senior year" 

"oh congrats bro! " I laughed and headed to the restroom to change.

I came back to see the shop was still kind of empty, at one booth there's this married couple with a little girl that looks about 4. And at another booth there's 2 boys that look like their in middle school, then there's 1 older man at the counter.
I walked towards Tarrant, "business running slow today" I stated. 

"yeah it's been like this all day today and yesterday" 

"really? That's unusual" 

"not really, I mean there is that other ice cream shop that just opened last week down the road. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty dead in here for a while"

 "oh, that won't be good" I gave Tarrant a concerned look, Tarrant bit his lip, worry was written all over his face. 

"there must be something we can do" Tarrant commented.

"Yeah, like can't we advertise?"

 "it takes money to advertise, which we aren't making very much of"

 "oh, right." I let out a sigh and started cleaning off the counters.

Tarrant was 19 and in college, this was his only job, his only way to support himself. If dairy king went out of business Tarrant would be out of the job.
I couldn't imagine that happening to him, there has to be another way to get business.
"Have a nice evening" I smiled and politely wished the couple and little girl as they were walking out.

It was now 5:57 Pm. No customers at all. Tarrant and I were staring at the door just watching. Tarrant looked over at me with a worried expression on his face, I sighed in response.

"if this keeps up we'll be out of the job in a month or two" Tarrant sounded very disappointed

 "We just need a creative way to advertise without a ton of money"

 "like what? There's nothing we can do Trey"

 "there's always something"

"oh yeah? Well when you think of something let me know" 

"I will, I'm not giving up." I reassured Tarrant, he gave me a hopeless smile in return.

Finally at 6:32 pm a man walked in, "hello sir, what can I get for you today?" Tarrant greeted the man

 "Hi, I was just wondering if you could give me the address to that new ice cream place that just opened" the man asked. 

Tarrant looked at me for a brief moment before replying to the man, "sure" he said with disappointment as he wrote it down for the man "there you go, sir" Tarrant smiled out of respect 

"thanks" the man headed out the door.

"maybe we can go into business for giving directions" I joked in a sarcastic way, surprisingly Tarrant laughed a bit. 

"may as well, we do better at that then our actual job, apparently" "hm" I nodded in agreement.

Before we knew it it was 8:30 and time to lock up. We cleaned everything again and locked up everything. "See you later trey"