1.1: Chapter 1

Once upon a time, there were two sisters. Both were as fair as a summer's day, with loving, gentle hearts. They were known for their kindness throughout the village. If one had a problem, the sisters would help them. As the sisters grew older, their kindness and beauty grew too, and soon they were known as the fairest in the land.

Both sisters married knights equal to their kindness and beauty, and they lived contentedly for a while. Their names were Ivy and Rose. Rose soon birthed a beautiful baby boy. But Ivy had no children.

Her husband, desperate for a child, left her for another and Ivy grew bitter. She locked herself away, and soon the village forgot her. And then the news came, her sister was to have another child.

One day, Rose told her husband, "I wish for some rapunzel, dear husband. So desperately do I want some for my meal. I feel as if I would go mad without it. I must have some for my child."

And her husband replied, "Your sister Ivy grows a garden. Perhaps she has some for you."

And Rose replied, "Hurry over to her house and ask her for some rapunzel then, kind husband."

Her husband did as he was bid, going over to his sister-in-law's house. In her bitterness, Ivy had abandoned her garden, and it was overrun with weeds and flowers alike. The property seemed abandoned and wild. Nervously, the husband knocked on the great door of her house.

Ivy peered out and beheld her sister's husband. "What do you want?" she asked.

Said he, "My sister wishes for some rapunzel to eat."

Said she, "I only have one plant left, which I wish to let grow, so I may have more next year."

The husband looked out to the garden and saw, true to her word, only one plant left. Very well, he said to himself, I will look for rapunzel in the market. "Thank you anyways," said he. "I shall look in the market."

He left Ivy's house for the market. Yet everywhere he searched, there was no rapunzel. "Sorry, sir. We are out of rapunzel," came the response from every stall.

He returned to his house. "I'm sorry, my darling wife, but there is no rapunzel."

She said, "Nowhere?"

He said, "Nowhere."

She said, "Not even at my sister's?"

He said, "She only has one plant left, which she wishes to let seed. She will not let us take it."

She said, "If you care for me and my child that I carry, you shall steal it for I will go mad if I don't taste rapunzel."

He replied, "Very well, my dearest wife. I shall steal the rapunzel, for I care for you greatly."

In the middle of the night, he crept to his sister-in-law's house and plucked the rapunzel from its place in the ground. Then, he crept back to his house to his wife. Little did he know, Ivy was watching from the window.

Rose tasted the rapunzel and grew well again. Soon after, she had a beautiful baby girl. Blissful with her new child, she forgot about Ivy and did not invite her to see the child. Ivy grew more bitter. Her sister had stolen from her, and given birth to another child, then forgotten about her. While she, alone, had no one to love. And to be loved by.

Desperate, she concocted a plan. She would steal the baby girl. Then she would be at peace. Then she would have someone to love. My sister already has a child, she won't miss the girl, she reasoned. In the dead of the night, Ivy left her house and crept into the house of her sister.

Into the girl's bedroom she crept, and whisked away the baby girl.