2.2: Chapter 2

The girls, jealous and lonely, took their pain and frustration out on Ella, who no longer had anyone to defend her. They never had anyone to teach them, or nurture them since they were little. No one to teach them right from wrong. So they grew up with their own rules.

Her stepmother didn't know how to deal with her two children. And she didn't want to choose between her true daughters and her kind and beautiful step-daughter. So, in the end, she did nothing. Leaving Ella to her daughter's mercy.

Alyssa, jealous of her beauty and grace, took away her pretty toys and clothes and dressed her in servants rags. Daniella, jealous of the sheltered childhood and the nurturing parents Ella had made her into a servant girl. And still, their mother did nothing.

Seasons passed, and Ella spent the second half of her childhood as a servant, thrown into the tough life as her two step-sisters had. But somehow, she remained as beautiful and graceful and good as she had before.

Soon, Alyssa was a grand 18 years of age and Daniella was 15 years old - the same age as Ella. This is when they received the invitations to the Royal Ball.

Frightened Ella would once again overshadow them, would throw them back into the life they left, the sisters forbid her to go to the ball. Their mother still did nothing, opting to ignore their cruelty.

But somehow, Ella made it to the ball. She had met a kindly benefactor who was a great friend of her deceased father. Her benefactor dressed her in elegant finery that not even the sisters had access to, and let her ride in her magnificent carriage. And she overshadowed her sisters yet again. Before the sisters could corner Ella, and question her, she fled, leaving one of her shoes behind.

The prince searched the entire country for the mysterious girl he had danced with until he made it to the sister's house. They tried to be kind to him, to be elegant and beautiful, to be everything Ella was and they couldn't be. But it didn't work.

So they tried to deny that Ella was there, that it was just them, but it still didn't work.

He found Ella. And he married her.

Leaving Daniella to wither and die, alone, lost, afraid. Starved of parental love. And Alyssa to watch her, unable to comfort her, or save her.