1.2: Chapter 2

Ivy, fearing the baby was going to be taken away from her, hid her away in a tall silver tower deep in the woods. She called her Rapunzel, for the plant that was stolen from her.

Her heart rejoiced at the thought of having a child and having someone to love. She once more became the gentle, loving Ivy that everyone knew before. She raised the child carefully and loved the child as her own. But she also grew paranoid, and would never let Rapunzel leave the tower, for fear someone would take her away.

She felt guilty, for when Rapunzel grew older, she left the tower for days at a time to keep her facade. And she watched Rapunzel grow strong and beautiful as her sister grew weak, frail and sad. She wished she hadn't hurt her sister so, but her need for a child overrode her guilt.

Rapunzel's hair grew long, and no matter how much it was cut, it grew back twice as much in the morning. Ivy whispered late at night that it was because she had been blessed by fairies, and indeed, it seemed she had. She grew tall and graceful and sang like a nightingale.

And yet, as Rapunzel grew older, Ivy grew more paranoid. As Rapunzel's hair grew longer, she once again concocted a plan. She would remove the stairs to prevent her from leaving. The only entrance and exit would be a window high above the ground. She would enter and leave using Rapunzel's hair.

And all seemed well.

But one day, she saw a young man call for Rapunzel to let down her hair. And he entered. She hid behind a bush, waiting. It was only much later that he left. Ivy, panicked, called for Rapunzel to let down her hair. "How long have you been seeing him?" she demanded.

"Oh, a couple weeks," Rapunzel replied. "I really like him, Mother. I think I love him. He's a prince. He's rather nice. Did you know he found me because of my singing?"

But Ivy didn't hear. She was afraid that Rapunzel would be taken away from her, that she wouldn't be able to keep Rapunzel by her side.

"You can never see him again," she said. "Ever. Or you won't be safe. And we will have to move." And with that, she left.

Young Rapunzel was heart-broken. She loved the man. And so, she defied her mother. She kept seeing him in secret.

But her Ivy found out. "You defied me! How dare you defy me!"

Now extremely desperate, she said, "You must learn what happens to disobedient daughters." And she cut off Rapunzel's hair.

Later, the Prince came by. "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!" called the young Prince.

And Ivy tossed down Rapunzel's cut off hair and reeled him up. Once he was inside, she slammed close the windows. Ivy stalked towards the young man. "I told my daughter to stop seeing you. And yet you keep seeing her. You have endangered her, and now I must be rid of you!"

"Mother, what are you doing? Why are we in danger?" asked Rapunzel, confused.

"That's why I came my dear," said the Prince, glancing at Rapunzel.

"NO!!" screamed Ivy. "I forbid you to tell her!" She produced a hidden sword from her skirts and started slashing wildly at the young man.

Dodging her crazed blows, the Prince said, "This woman isn't your mother. She kidnapped you, my darling Rapunzel. Seeing her confirms my suspicions. I have informed the guards. They are on the way at this moment to remove this beautiful lady from your charge."

"NO!!!!!!!" screamed Ivy, hysterical. "You can't take her away from me!! She's my daughter! I love her!! You can't-" She collapsed on the floor, sobbing.

Suddenly she looked up, her expression hard. The Prince and Rapunzel stared at her nervously, huddled in the corner. "You say they're definitely coming?"

"Yes," came the nervous reply.

Carefully, gently, she placed one final kiss on her stolen daughter's forehead and said, "I give you my blessing, as long as you're happy, my dearest Rapunzel."

"Is it really true, Mother?" asked Rapunzel, hesitant.

"Yes darling." Then, she walked slowly to the window. "My sister is your birth mother. Give Rose my regards. But I can't live without you."

She opened the windows. And she flung herself out.