chapter 7

sorry for any spelling mistakes

A sigh escapes from Mitch's parted lips as he runs his towel through his damp hair. He almost doesn't want to wipe away the small drips that are still running down his back, the cold water bringing him relief from the heat of the Afghanistan air. His shorts are sitting low on his hips, his bare chest exposed and shining silver due to the moonlight that is peeping through his tent window.

Scott takes all of this in as he cautiously moves into Mitch's tent, running his eyes down and across Mitch's back and body.

He runs his fingers through his hair, biting the inside of his cheek as he watches the smaller boy gently brush his towel through his hair, silent and peaceful. Scott catches a glimpse of Mitch's wound, the crimson graze across the side of his rib cage. He wishes desperately that the boy had got out of the gunfire unscathed, but can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of relief that he is even alive, here, and standing in the small slither of moonlight in front of Scott.

It feels as though there's no one else here, like they're not in Afghanistan in the middle of a war zone, like they're not just two of thousands of soldiers on this camp.

Mitch slowly begins to turn towards Scott, eyes locked on the floor as he places his towel down on his camp bed. As his eyes come up to meet Scott standing in his doorway, he visibly jumps a little, his hand coming up to rest over his heart.

"You scared me," Mitch says quietly, his hands moving to cross his chest insecurely.

"I didn't mean to," Scott responds just as quietly, his hands slipping into his pockets as he tenses his jaw and swallows heavily.

Mitch nods his head once, his head down slightly as he peers as Scott through his lashes.

"I bought you something to cover your wound with," Scott says, holding out a bandage towards Mitch.

Mitch smirks, taking the bandage from Scott, "Thanks... I, I am a medic though, I have a few of these."

"I- I know," Scott splutters, running his hand through his hair, "I just wanted to be sure you had one on hand."

"Thank you. I was about to come to your office, but I guess, you're here now."

"Yeah, I wasn't sure if you forgot."

"I didn't."

"Right."

Mitch hears Scott gulp, furrowing his brow slightly as he sits on his bed and pats the space beside him, gesturing for Scott to join him. He can't understand why the atmosphere feels so tense and awkward, perhaps because earlier in the day Mitch had seen a new side of Scott, someone who was scared and clearly cared. Scott walks over cautiously, sitting down and playing with the sleeve of his tee.

Mitch opens the bandage, wincing quietly as he presses it onto the wound. Scott tenses his jaw as he watches on, his fingers twitching as he resists the urge to reach out and help. Mitch has to remove the bandage a couple of times, trying to ensure it's flat and covering the correct spot, but struggling to see the entire wound due to its awkward placement.

A gentle hand brushes against his fingertips as Scott takes the bandage from him, his eyes briefly meeting Mitch's before he focuses on covering the wound. Mitch inhales quietly as Scott accidentally presses on his graze, his eyes flicking up to Mitch's in a silent apology.

Scott clears his throat as he leans back, rubbing his palms on his thighs, "so, your ten days leave starts tomorrow."

"Oh," Mitch says, slightly taken aback, "I didn't realise it was so soon.."