Chapter Twenty-Three

The next day at work, O'Leary was a nightmare.

The girls walked into the speakeasy, and were immediately greeted by the sound of O'Leary's voice screaming from the hallway where his office was. Stella locked eyes with Leon at the bar, who was drying glasses with a dishtowel, and he simply nodded, and winked.

Stella nodded back and hid the giddiness that she felt. O'Leary, of course, was reacting to the situation that Stella and her friends had helped to bring about. His heroin shipment of about ten thousand dollars had been intercepted in the middle of its journey to him, and he was now faced with the fact that he most definitely had a mole in his presence.

The girls continued on into the speakeasy and to Stella's dressing room, but the sound of their heels on the floor alerted O'Leary to their presence, and he immediately stopped screaming, and the door to his office flung open, thus causing all three women to jump.

"In my office, now," O'Leary said firmly. He immediately disappeared back into his office, leaving the girls to look at each other, their eyes wide.

They filed into his office and stood in front of his desk, where two other employees, the trombone player, the other a man they hadn't seen before, were sitting, their expressions serious. Three rough looking employees stood against the wall, their faces all in matching frowns, their arms on their hip, which pushed their jacket out of the way and revealed their guns that sat in holsters on their belt.

They looked at the girls as they walked in, their expressions stern, which only caused Stella to become more nervous.

O'Leary nodded to the man that they didn't recognize.

"You can leave. You're never here and only do our books. I doubt it was you."

The man thanked O'Leary profusely, then stood from the chair and hurried out, but not before giving the girls a reassuring smile. It didn't help to calm them down.

They continued to wait, while O'Leary turned back to the trombone player.

"You were saying," he said coldly.

The trombone player took an audible deep breath, then began speaking.

"Like I said, sir, I'm just here to play trombone and support my family. I don't have no knowledge in what happens here. My business is with the band and that's all." He spoke urgently, his voice almost pleading O'Leary to believe what he was saying.

"So you had nothing to do with a delivery of mine being stolen? So help me God, Lenny, if you're lying, I'll gut you, your wife, and your newborn son."

The band member, Lenny, as Stella was reminded, suddenly grew noticeably upset, and he began rambling in an effort to save the people he cared about.

"Sir, all's I know about is the flower delivery that you mentioned to Miss Dubois yesterday. I know of no other delivery. Please, you have to believe me. I would never do anything that would jeopardize my job here. I just want to play trombone; that's all I know how to do. I want to play trombone and support my family. Please, I don't want no trouble, sir. I don't want no trouble."

Lenny began to sob loudly, and the men against the wall snickered at the man's pain. Even O'Leary seemed to be taking pleasure out of it, considering his face housed a large smirk on it.

Lenny sat and cried, and Stella hesitantly approached him and placed a hand on his shoulder, which earned her a glare from O'Leary. The look was enough to make her even more nervous, but she stayed planted in place, wishing that the moment was over. The poor man trembled under Stella's touch, and she wanted nothing more than to smack the smug look off of O'Leary's face.