Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Stella had just dozed off after being awake for nearly twenty-four hours. Her entire body ached, her right eye was swollen shut from O'Leary striking her, and her bottom lip was cracked, and healing, although she'd have to start the healing process all over again numerous times because she kept nervously chewing on her bottom lip.

She was dressed only in her slip, since O'Leary had taken her dress, and she was cold, and shivered in the frigid basement air.

Kate sat next to her on the dirt floor of a damp basement in a random house in the middle of nowhere, both of their hands tied to an exposed pipe, behind their backs. The windows in the basement were covered with newspaper or blacked out completely, so it was impossible for the girls to tell what time it was, or if it was even light outside.

Kate's head rested on Stella's shoulder, and Stella's head leaned against Kate's.

The two were terrified, and both as equally battered and beat up, and all they could focus on was whether Jack and Peter would come to their rescue in time. O'Leary has made it clear that they were running out of time, and although he didn't tell them what he'd do to them, it was pretty clear that they could only have hours left to live.

They had spent hours fiddling with the ropes knotted around their wrists in the hopes of getting free, but it was useless. Their wrists were rubbed raw, and the ropes cut uncomfortably into their wounds, thus causing the girls more pain.

They hadn't eaten in hours, and their stomachs continuously growled loudly, which the girls had laughed about at first in order to lighten the mood, but now, it only added to their discomfort.

They could hear muffled conversations and laughter upstairs, as well as the heavy footsteps of O'Leary and his men walking above them, and it only added to the list of things that made it difficult to sleep.

"Stella," Kate whispered as she nudged her friend gently.

Stella groaned in reply, but kept her eyes closed and tried to continue sleeping.

Kate spoke more urgently, "Stella!"

She moved her head out from under Stella's, thus causing Stella's head to fall uncomfortably, causing her to wake up. Stella jerked up, afraid that O'Leary was back to hurt her some more, but calmed down when she saw it was only Kate, although her heart continued to beat wildly.

"I have something to tell you," she said slowly, her voice showing her nervousness.

Stella turned her head to look at her friend, guilt filling her once more as she looked at Kate's bruised and bloodied face. She didn't know how she'd make it up to her friend, but once they got out of O'Leary's, Stella would find some way to apologize for getting her in the mess they were in.

She couldn't help but be grateful that Hazel wasn't there with them, seeing as it would only make her feel worse about the situation. It was enough putting one friend in danger, but had it been both, it would have been too much to handle.

"What is it?"

"I'm pregnant," Kate said quickly, her face serious.

Stella rolled her eyes, and turned away from Kate.

"Ha ha, very funny," Stella replied sarcastically. Out of the three of them, Kate was the least likely to end up having children.

"I'm serious," Kate insisted. "We're still not sure how it happened. I mean, something went wrong, but I think we're due in seven months."

Stella went from feeling elated, to fearful in the same second.

"Kate, we need to get you out of here. The stress and the baby-"