Chapter 3

(Word Count- 908)

IT WAS SUNDAY afternoon, and I got into my car to drive to Mina's place. The note said to be at gymnasium at 5:00 pm, but we had to find a way to break into the gymnasium first. We would need a key, because breaking a window would trigger an alarm. Who we would get a key from, I didn't know. That was Mina's job to know and to tell me. 

"Kim Dahyun." Mina said as I drove away from her house. "The girl knows everyone and everything, and also happens to have what you need. If she doesn't have the key to the school, then no one does." 

"Okay, and where is Dahyun's house?" I asked. 

"On Third Avenue," she replied. "House number 1556." 

I turned on Third Avenue, and looked at the house numbers. I saw 155, and a faded number next to it. The home had two broken windows, and was an odd green color. I frowned and asked, "Is that her house?" Mina looked out the car window. 

"Yes, that has to be it," she replied. I parked my car and the two of us got out. I followed Mina up, and let her knock on the door, because I had never interacted with Dahyun. I had seen her, and knew of her, but it felt awkward to randomly knock on her door. 

Mina knocked, and I looked up. The door creaked open and Dahyun stood there. She was very pale and her hair was dyed a light orange color. She smiled at us. "Hi, Mina, hello, Jihyo. Why are you guys here?" She asked. 

"We need a key to get into the school," Mina said. "We need to get in, tonight. Someone is meeting us." 

"Oh really? Who's meeting you?" Dahyun asked. Mina turned to me to answer the question, but I had no idea what to say. We didn't know who was meeting us, and that's why we needed to go. So we could see what this "Z" person wanted and move on with our lives. 

"Well, we aren't exactly sure." I said. Dahyun's eyes lit up. 

"A mystery! I want in," she smiled. "Is that your car? I have the key on me, let's go." She grabbed my hand and started to walk towards my car. 

"Actually, we don't need anyone else to come with us, we just need a key." I mumbled, but she didn't hear me (or just didn't care), because she was already getting inside the car. I sighed and turned to Mina, who shrugged. 

"What's the worst that could happen?" 

* * * 

After going to lunch and discussing what our plan was, I pulled into the school parking lot at 4:50 PM. My hands were shaky, nervous about who this person could be. It could be a murderer, or worse, Chaeyoung. 

I stepped out of the car and made my way towards the school's main entrance. "Jihyo, what are you doing?! We went over this! We're going through the side entrance!" I heard Dahyun shout. 

"Sorry, I'm a little out of it," I mumbled. I turned to Dahyun and Mina, and followed them to the side entrance. It was weird, being here on a weekend. The parking lot was completely empty and it was eerily silent. Not to mention it was October, so it was cold. 

Dahyun pulled the key out of her pocket and stuck it in. She then twisted the knob. The door swung open and I quickly shuffled inside. We stepped inside the gymnasium, which was pitch black. But it was warm, and that's all that mattered to me. Dahyun and Mina followed behind me and the door slammed shut. That was when the darkness set in. I could no longer see, and felt a chill go down my spine. 

"It's five o'clock." Mina said. 

"Z!" I yelled. "ARE YOU HERE?!" I heard the clicking of boots, so I waited for the lights to flicker on. The clicking stopped, and no lights turned on. "Who's there?!" I shouted. 

"You actually came," a recognizable voice replied. "Ooh, you brought friends. It was true that you made those." I scoffed. 

"Look, if you're Chaeyoung, that insult was pathetic," I simply replied. 

"Chaeyoung? I can't seem to remember who she is. She must of not interacted with me. Anyway, I remember the people you brought with you. Mina. I always admired her for being so beautiful. I wished I could have been as pretty as her. Oh, and Dahyun. People always loved her, for being so radiant. I really hope that hasn't changed." The voice said. 

"That all sounds very familiar." I said. "Who are you?" I felt a cold hand on my shoulder and I tensed up. "Tell me who you are, right now." 

The lights flickered on, and I turned my head to see Dahyun holding my shoulder. "Jihyo, are you okay? You were talking to yourself, so Mina ran to find the lights."

"No, I wasn't talking to myself, I was talking to someone. Didn't you hear them?" I asked. Mina walked back up to us. 

"No one is here, and we didn't hear anyone," she said. "I think we should take you home. You really are a little out of it." Dahyun nodded in agreement. I sighed and followed them to the door. 

I turned my head to see a tall girl with long, brown hair walking into the girl's locker room.