Chapter 4

(Word Count- 1044) 

I WALKED INTO school Monday morning, exhausted. I hadn't gotten any sleep the night before, thinking about the voice I heard in the gymnasium, and the girl I saw. I couldn't think of who the girl could have been, or who the voice belonged to. The girl was simply tall with brown hair, which was almost every girl in the school. Her voice wasn't very high or very low, but it was charming. This "mystery" was going to be the death of me.

I walked down the hall, when I bumped into Sana. "Sorry," she mumbled. She started walking again, but I quickly grabbed her arm. 

"Hey, could you do me a favor?" I asked. 

"Sure." 

"You work with the school newspaper, right?" She nodded. "I need you to put a notice in the next paper. To look for a girl with long, brown hair, about 5' 7", and a charming voice. If they find someone that matches this description, to tell the newspaper immediately." Sana stared at me. "I'll pay you." 

"Okay." 

* * * 

On Wednesday, I sat with Mina and Dahyun at lunch. Mina had seemed to forget about what happened on Sunday, and went back to her normal life, but Dahyun was still interested. I told her about what I put in the newspaper, and she had asked me about it frequently, even though she still found it weird I heard someone. I was writing in my journal, when she asked me, "What are you writing?" 

"I'm making a list of ideas on how to figure who I heard on Sunday. I know you didn't hear anyone, and I know you think I'm crazy, but I could really use some help." I said. Dahyun took the journal from me and began to read over my list. As she scanned it, her eyes lit up. 

"The third one, it says to make a threat. You could easily make an announcement about the newspaper ad, along with a threat. If the person doesn't come forward, you'll do something. You're bound to scare someone," she said. I smiled. 

"That's actually a really good idea," I replied. "I should write-" Nayeon walked over to our table and grabbed my arm, dragging me away from the table. She pulled me into the hallway and took my journal from me. "Hey, what are you doing?!" I took my journal back and she looked at me with eyes of concern. 

"You need to take that ad out of the newspaper," she said. 

"How do you know I put it in?" 

"I overheard your conversation with Sana. You're avoiding my statement. You need to take that ad out of the newspaper." 

"Why should I?" 

"I can't tell you." 

"If you can't give me a reason, I won't do it." I said. "You don't understand, Nayeon. It's very important that I find this girl." 

"I do understand!" She yelled. "Fine, if you don't take the ad out, I will find a way to get rid of it myself." She brushed past me as she made her way back into the lunch room. I watched as she walked away. She was tall for her age, and had long brown hair. 

I gasped and ran back into the cafeteria, and then to Dahyun. 

"I think I already scared someone." 

* * * 

After school, Dahyun and I made her way to her house. "Do you really think she will come?" I asked. Dahyun nodded. 

"Momo wouldn't miss an opportunity to hang out with me. She kind of has a crush on me." Dahyun said. I nodded and zipped my jacket back up. 

"You know, normally by October 11th I'd still be unhappy, but I don't feel sad." I said. Dahyun looked at me with an expression of confusion. "I'm normally reminded of Tzuyu's death weeks before the anniversary and weeks after, so I'm always melancholy around that time. But, I don't feel down. I actually feel full of energy." 

"It's because of this Z business. Mystery gives you an alive feeling. That's why I know everything and have everything. I normally get it from trying to solving problems." Dahyun said. We reached her house, and I stared at it wearing a frown. The fading colors had only continued, and there were more broken windows. Dahyun looked at me. "I know, it looks awful." 

We walked up the porch steps and then walked into her house. It was actually really beautiful compared to the outside. There was lots of furniture and expensive objects. I wanted to ask Dahyun why the windows were broken if the house seemed so wealthy, but it seemed like a personal question, so I decided I would ask her another time. 

"And now, we wait." She said, wearing a huge smile. 

After a few hours, we finally heard a knock. Dahyun stood up, walked to the door, and then opened it. Hirai Momo stood there wearing a coat and jeans. Her hair was an orange color. "Hi, Momo," Dahyun said. 

Momo smiled. "Hi. Why did you invite me over?" She asked. Dahyun looked over at me. I stood up and waved to Momo. 

"I heard that you can mock people's handwriting." I said. Momo nodded. "I need you to write a note in 1780's cursive. I have a legal document you can look at. It's a note I need to give someone, but I can't let them find out who wrote it. Will you write it for me?" I asked. Momo stared at us for a moment, before answering. 

"What do I get out of it?" She asked. Dahyun took a shaky breath before kissing Momo on the cheek. Momo blushed. "O-Okay I'll do it." 

"Great." I smiled. I pulled a piece of notebook paper out of my bag, along with a ballpoint pin. I then took out the legal document and handed both to Momo. She set them down on the coffee table and clicked open the pen. 

"What do I write?" 

"I know you know about the girl in the ad. You need to come clean in forty-eight hours. I'm close with Kim Dahyun, and I can make your life a living hell if you don't. Anonymous." 

"And who are you giving this to?" 

"Im Nayeon."