Chapter Four - The Flosentia and the Problem

We near what looks like a little village, with buildings and structures made out of a shiny, green material I couldn't place.

"Oh, this is lovely! You clever people you! Well, not people, but you know what I mean," the Doctor says, looking about with the look of a child in a candy shop on his face.

We reach a small group of the flowers, standing in a huddle beneath a large statue of tree.

"Soldiers Casia and Flavus: why hath thou left thy post?" says the largest flower, at the head of the group. His voice was slightly deeper and wheezier that those of the others, his petals a glowing white, face and leaves wrinkled, stems bent like that of a hunchbacked old man.

"Intuders, your majesty," they say simultaneously, bowing to him.

His wizened old eyes take the pair of us in. "What business do you have here?"

"Oh, no business! Just fun!" the Doctor says, smiling easily. "I'm the Doctor, by the way. And this is Jenny," he continues.

"We are the Flosentia. We are a people of peace. I am King Potens. We welcome you to my kingdom," the old flower tells us.

"Well, now, that's not exactly right, is it?" I find myself saying.

"Excuse me?"

"If you're a people of peace, why do you have soldiers stationed around your kingdom?"

His face darkens. "We are under attack. We are at war. Come with me, I shall show you."

He turns and leads us into one of the buildings behind him, floating along a few inches above the ground.

"The dreaded Bestiolae," he says, sitting in a chair and gesturing us to do the same, "have invaded our beloved world."

"Sorry, what are the Bestiolae?" I ask.

"They are horrid, terrible creatures sent from Infernum to punish us," he explains, not helping me understand.

The Doctor leans over to me. "The Bestiolae are giant insect-like creatures. And Infernum is...hell."

"Ah. Go on then. Sorry."

Potens continues with his story. "We were happy. Simply tending our farms, living amicably among each other, among nature. When they came."

He draws in a deep, rattling breath. "They came in from the west. Within days, many villages of my people were leveled, all killed within. I got word of the goings-on too late to stop that. But I did hear what was happening in time to hold them back at the River Aquas. For many of them, water is a great weakness. Now my peaceful people are dying, starving, afraid, at war, and there is nothing I can do to stop it."

The Doctor was smiling. "Well. That's where we come in."

A/N: Djshgfiusslj! I'm so, so sorry! I am a lazy procrastinator and the worst person ever. This is just so hard to write! Gah!

Okay, no more excuses. i know it was a long wait for something so short, but I'M SORRY I'M TRYING. *sigh* The wait for the next chapter will not be nearly as long, I swear. Goodbye!