Chapter Four

Percy

The clatter of swords echoed throughout the room as Percy arranged the different types he had brought onto his desk. Annabeth frowned at him.

"What?" Percy asked, eyes lifting to hers.

"Did you even try to comb your hair this morning?"

Percy rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out at her. "Yes, I did. But you know better than anyone that my hair does what it wants."

"Yeah, but – " Annabeth lifted a hand to pat it down but Percy caught at her wrist, laughing.

"Stop that!"

Annabeth's lips lifted in a grin too, and as she leaned forward to kiss him, letting her grip relax, she struck. Annabeth tackled him to the floor, cackling the whole way down as she batted his hands away and licked her fingers, attempting to smooth his hair down.

Needless to say, the hair won. "I can't believe you just did that," Percy grinned, "who are you? My mother?"

"Hm," Annabeth said, flicking his nose.

The clock chimed the hour and Annabeth climbed off of him, helping him up. Soon, the clutter of students fumbling around in the hall found Percy and Annabeth's classroom. The first ones to push through the door were Harry, Ron and Hermione, followed by a slew of Slytherins. The Gryffindors and Slytherins exchanged looks of disgust before seating themselves on opposite sides of the room.

Percy and Annabeth glanced at each other. That's not going to work, Annabeth's eyes said. Percy agreed.

They waited for everyone to find a seat, and then smiled demurely at the class. Annabeth subtlety shot Draco a glare; it did not go unnoticed by him as one side of his mouth pulled up in a smirk.

"Welcome," Annabeth began, "to Defense Against the Dark Arts. We know you hear a lecture about what the class is and how it is useful every year and it's always the same. Not this year."

Percy picked up from where Annabeth left off. "Headmistress McGonagall recently reached out to us in America, claiming that she wanted her students to be able to rely on something other than magic should another fight or war ensue. Professor Chase and I are skilled in hand-to-hand combat and physical fighting with weapons. This year you, too, will learn how to wield weapons properly, including swords, daggers, spears and bows."

Everyone exchanged glances of confusion.

"First and foremost," Annabeth continued as if she hadn't seen their expressions. "We need to fix your seats."

She smiled at their groans of disapproval.

"It's better that you partner with someone who is not your friend," Percy explained, "it makes it easier to do your best against them when dueling."

Percy and Annabeth exchanged glances as Annabeth grabbed the seating chart they had pored over the night before with Draco, who had informed them of the grudges between students when he could. Percy and Annabeth filled in the rest.

They began listing off names, smirking at the moans and groans.

"And Draco and Hermione," Percy concluded. Draco shot them a glare of hot disapproval at their choice but took the seat next to the bright witch anyways. Hermione's lip curled but she said nothing as Draco leaned back in his chair with his usual swagger, his lopsided smirk pulling at the right side of his mouth.

Annabeth knew her half brother well enough to notice when something was up with him. He accidentally skipped over Hermione's name the night before. Percy and Annabeth couldn't resist messing with him.