Chapter Five

Hermione

To say that her first day had been interesting would be an understatement. Seating herself next to Ron in mythology, Hermione sighed.

"Bad day?" Ron asked with a slight laugh.

"You can't even imagine," Hermione huffed. "The only class I don't have homework in is DADA, and in that class the ferret Malfoy is my permanent partner."

"I'm sure the rest of your day will be great," he said idly, seeming to only be half there.

Hermione looked curiously at him, laying a hand on his arm in worry. She frowned when he cringed away from her. "What's wrong with you? Are you okay?"

"I have something I need to talk to you about – "

Ron was cut off abruptly by Professors Chase and Jackson clearing their throats at the front of the room.

"Talk about it later?" Hermione asked gently.

The look on Ron's face was not comforting. "Yeah, sure."

The professors glanced around the room before shutting the door. "Good afternoon," Professor Chase said evenly. "Welcome to Mythology I. To start off this class, we'd like to detail what you will learn over the course of this school year and what will be expected from you, as students. Of course, this class hardly pertains to magic, therefore we won't be using magic so much in this class, however, a true reasoning behind this class will come to light for those who choose to listen and participate."

Professor Jackson picked up. "In this class, we will teach mainly Greek mythology but Roman mythology may come to play in areas of importance."

Hermione perked up at the mention of Greek mythology — she had always had an interest in it as a child, flipping through books about the gods and the Titans, prancing around her house, pretending to shoot lightning bolts at her parents should they say something that angered her. "I'm Zeus!" she would cry, jumping onto her father's back. "You must listen to me!" Her father would freeze, as though petrified, and beg for mercy as she giggled and said: "Daddy, I'm only joking."

"We'll talk extensively about the Greek way of life through the gods, the progression of reign from primordials to the gods, and about all of the other creatures and people involved in between," Professor Chase continued, ignoring the whispers of excitement, confusion and all. "This class may not seem important but we urge you to keep an open mind as this will connect with Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Harry nudged her in the side. "What do you think of this?" he asked quietly.

"I'm excited!" she exclaimed. "I've always loved learning new things. And Greek mythology. Why do you suppose there isn't a required book for this class?"

Ron rolled his eyes beside her. "Do these professors seem conventional to you?"

"Well, no," Hermione responded slowly, "but their cultures are different than ours and their styles different from our professors. They're quite young too—maybe they have something else planned."

Ron harrumphed beside her but Hermione ignored him. Professor Annabeth waved her wand, Hermione noting that both professors seemed to use quite a bit of wordless magic, and upon her desk fell a small booklet titled: A History of Mythology and the Gods, a Brief Edition.

"We understand that textbooks are often not helpful," Professor Jackson said with a little laugh, "so these remain brief, for reference though I can assure you that you will not need it often. Let's start with the basics."

"Nox," Professor Chase murmured quietly. The lights switched off and a PowerPoint appeared on the board. The Twelve Olympians, Plus some.

Hermione promptly took out a roll of parchment to accompany the quill and ink already on her desk.