5

After that, I adopted Naruto and began raising him. I'd always walk him to school and when it wa time to pick him, I would always be there. Naruto would tell me about his day and how he needed help on his homework. Of course I would help him out. 

I even helped him study for test and quizzes, and he'd pass with a score of 100. 

While Naruto was at the academy, I'd walk around and do some shopping. As I was doing my errands, I'd hear the villagers whisper about me, about how I've been spending so much time around Naruto. 

I'd often hear things like, "What on earth is she thinking?" or "There has to be something wrong with her."

I honestly didn't care what the village has to say about me. They can spread as many rumors as they want. It won't bother me. I care about Naruto and I'm going to keep caring for him while being there for him every step of the way. 

But now that I think about it, ever since I adopted Naruto, not once has he called me 'Mom'.

We're family, aren't we? I mean, I want us to be family. Then again, I guess it's up to Naruto.

Today, I was waiting outside the academy for Naruto as I noticed many kids were with their parents, telling them how they passed the exams and became a ninja.

"I'm sure Naruto passed, too. I've been helping him study for this because he was so desperate to become a ninja." I said to myself. I looked around, studying each kid as I tried to look for Naruto. "Where is he?" I mumbled.

I waited for another few minutes and started to get worried.  I ran inside the academy to see if he was there, but he wasn't. "Where could he have gone?" I asked before running out of the academy. Worried, I began searching for Naruto.

I started off by going to his favorites places, hoping that I would find him there. I searched for about an hour and he was nowhere to be found. "This is bad. Naruto, where did you go?" I said as I panted with my hands on my knees. "Naruto!" I called, loudly. 

*****

The sun was descending quickly than I had hoped. I've searched high and low for Naruto and I couldn't find him anywhere. I even went back to the house to see if he was there, which he wasn't. I sat on the swing in the playground, feeling helpless and defeated. 

Did Naruto run away from the village? Did something happen at the academy that caused him to run away? "Naruto..." I whispered, tears filling the brim of my eyes. The sun had faded away as it welcomed the dark sky.

No! I can't give up now! I know Naruto is still here somewhere! I got off the swing and ran into the woods. The only place I hadn't looked yet. The woods.

When I got there, I heard the voices of Iruka and Mizuki. What the heck are they doing here? I ignored them and kept running. Naruto has to be here. He has to. 

"You are the Nine-Tailed Fox!" I froze in my place when I heard those words. "Oh, no..." I whispered in shock. "That's why you will never be accepted in this village! Even your beloved sensei hates your guts!" Mizuki yelled. 

I started running again until I spotted Mizuki, Iruka, and Naruto as he had a scroll strapped to his back. I gasped when I s Mizuki throw a giant shuriken towards him. "Die, Naruto!"

"No!" I yelled. I quickly ran towards Naruto and shielded him the weapon as I felt it pierce my back. "Haru!" Naruto and Iruka said at the same time. "Thank goodness, you're safe." I said, smiling at Naruto in relief. 

"Haru... Is it true? Is the Nine-Tailed Fox really inside me?" Naruto asked as he looked up at me. "Naruto..." I whispered. "Did you know about it?" He asked.