13

The wind gently blew as Gaara and I stared at each other. "You were this guy's babysitter?!" Naruto asked. "Mm-hm." I confirmed with a closed-eye smile. "Nanny..." Gaara said. "You were the woman who took care of Gaara?" The female companion asked. 

"But that was a long time ago." Kankuro said. 

"Indeed, it was," I looked towards the sky and gave a soft sigh with a smile. "My, time sure does fly by, doesn't it? It's very nice to see you again, Gaara." I said, looking at him. I walked over to him and placed my hand on his head. 

"Nanny... You look like you haven't changed a bit." Gaara said. "And it looks like you've grown," I replied. "But I wonder... What are you doing here in the Leaf Village? I thought there was a certain rule that you're not allowed to enter another village without permission?"

"We have passes, and we're here for the Chunin Exams." Gaara answered. "Chunin Exams? It must be that time already. And I take it your skills have improved, yes?" I asked. Gaara nodded his head. "I'm very proud of you, Gaara. You've come a long way." I praised. 

"All right, you've got some explaining to do, Mom!" Naruto yelled. "And I'd be happy to answer all your question at lunch. Would you like to come with us, Gaara?" I offered. He shook his head. "My siblings and I have to get registered." He explained. 

"I understand," I replied, a little disappointed that he couldn't join us. "Bye." Gaara and his siblings began walking away again and I turned to Naruto and the others. "Shall we go?" I asked, closing my eyes with a smile. 

*****

"You really used to babysit that guy, Mom?" Naruto asked. "Of course. I mentioned I was a traveler," I said as I sipped my tea.

"When I went to the Sand Village, I found Gaara playing by himself. I decided to play with him until it got dark. I took him back to his father and he was amazed when Gaara told him I stayed and played with him. After that, his father proposed a job for me as Gaara's babysitters. I gladly accepted and took care of Gaara. That was until my services were no longer required from Gaara's father. The reason for him letting me go was unknown. But before I left, Gaara gave me a small hourglass necklace that he made by hand. I thought it was sweet, so I promised him I'd see him again someday. Ever since that day, I've never taken it off." 

"Aww! That so cute!" Moegi cooed. "But why'd he call you 'Nanny'? I thought your name was 'Haru'?" Udon said. I giggled at his comment. "Silly, that is my name. 'Nanny' was what Gaara called me as his babysitter. I actually found it cute." I said. 

"What was Gaara like when you babysat for him?" Moegi asked.

"At first, he was a shy little boy. He hardly spoke to me and whenever I did try to speak to him, he'd blush and hug his teddy bear tightly like I was going to take it away. It took a while, but he started opening up to me. Gaara was so cute, and still is may I mind you, and such a joy to be with." I explained.

"So, what made him get all dark and scary-looking?" Konohamaru asked. "Beats me," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "But I'd really like to know what happened to him, what caused him to change?"  

I took another sip of my tea and looked at Naruto, noticing he looked a bit disappointed. "Is something wrong, Naruto? You haven't touched your food. Did they get the order wrong?" I asked. "No," He answered, shaking his head. "Everything's fine." 

I gave a worried look because it was unlike Naruto to not eat his ramen. I mean, he loves ramen. He'd always eat it if I put it in front of him. Maybe he has a fever? I placed my hand on her cheek, then slid it under his headband to feel his forehead. 

"I'm not sick, Mom. I told you, I'm fine." Naruto said, pushing my hand away. "Naruto..." He frowned slightly and turned his head away from me. 

After I paid for lunch, Naruto and I said goodbye to his friends and we walked home. Once we entered the house, I closed the door and locked it. "Are you sure you're feeling okay, Naruto? You hardly said a word at lunch." I mentioned.