In the Church of the Gods

Breakfast was delivered to us by servants the next morning, consisting of eggs, cheeses, sausage, porridge, bread rolls, and jugs of milk and juices. The Prince had sent us a note with breakfast.

I am sorry I had to inform you by letter. I am unable to accompany you today, as I have business to attend to. Should you two need to purchase anything, please just say you are a friend of mine, I'll cover your expenses. I wish you and Verulus a good day. - Ramiel

"What's the note say?" Verulus spoke between bites of food, already digging in to breakfast.

"The Prince is unable to join us today, but has offered to cover any shopping expenses we accumulate." I sat down and began serving myself. "I received a note as well last night."

Verulus paused. "What was it, him professing his love for you?"

Annoyed with the accusation, I grabbed a bread roll and chucked it at him. "No you fool, it wasn't from him but the assassin. She has no information so far, but will keep trying."

Verulus let the roll hit him and said nothing. I got up, grabbing another roll.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get started on today, without you!"

I stormed out of the room, a servant guiding me out of the castle and into the city. Another offered to be my guide, but I refused. I continued to wander around just outside the courtyard gates, trying to clear my mind. I almost missed the obvious Synjo Vaul assassin approaching me.

"Are you Alys, the caster from Vale?" A gruff male voice spoke.

"Yes? Who wants to know?"

"A gift from a fellow member, she insisted I deliver this to you." He held out a small coin.

I took the coin, examining the silver piece. It was stamped with the sigil of the Synjo Vaul, a solitary raven.

"Rub your thumb over the sigil and it produces a slight ringing noise, and a messenger raven will come to you. If you ever need to send word to any member of the Synjo Vaul, send it by raven."

"Alright. Thank you."

The assassin just nodded and walked towards the castle gates. I sighed and looked towards where the Grand Church of the Gods stood, its grand white spire stood out high above the grey stone and wood of the other buildings. I headed towards it, hoping Father Anxo was there. I smiled when I saw him wishing people well as they exited the church. He spotted me and waved.

"Alys, good day! Come for a visit?"

"Yes sir. I was actually hoping to speak with you."

"I see, well, mass just let out, let me finish up and we'll speak."

"Alright, thank you Father."

I waited, watching him as he said his good days. When he finished he came over and offered his arm. Being polite I took it, following him as he lead me around.

"So what do you wish to speak of, hmm?"

"I'm afraid it is the matter of the Osymljum Swamp and the temple within it. I need to know how to get there, and what to expect."

Father Anxo frowned. "Ah, that matter. The exact location has been lost to time, but I can give you an area to search. It was in the south east area, according to the old documents. Whatever path was once there is likely gone, but there is a main road that leads to Alame which cuts through the swamp. You'll want to use that path as a starting point."

I nodded. "May I borrow the map, Father? If only to get it copied."

"If you do not mind, child, I'll send one of the brothers of the church with you and your friend instead. I believe it is high time the church relocated that temple."

I smiled and nodded. "Thank you sir. The help is very much appreciated."

"No, thank you child. So is there anything else you need?"

"I'm not sure Father. All of this is fairly strange to me, I've gone from someone with a rather messed up family to student of magic and conduit of a god on an important world saving mission."

"Well, it is not every day a literal conduit for a god comes into existence, even for a reason such as saving the world, but that can also be said similarly for mortal existence as well. It is alright for you to question their choices of conduit, maybe even flat out reject it, but in the end it will most likely change nothing. It is up to you to choose to embrace it, or to fight it."

I paused in my step, halting our walk, thinking on his words. Father Anxo smiled at me.

"You know, when I was your age, my family sent me here to join the Church. At the time, I wanted nothing to do with worship, I wanted to become a knight. I remember arguing with my parents every step of the way. Reluctantly, I still became a member of the Church, and I found my own peace with it. Knights fight battles with swords and shields, but here at the Church we fight the loss of faith and hope. You have what many here wish they could have, direct answers and guidance."

"I think I understand, Father."

"I don't think you'll reject your path, even though I have not known you long enough, I can tell you have a good heart." He patted my hand comfortingly. "Now, if you have time, do you think you can help this old man with a few tasks?"

I smiled. "Yes sir."