Death

I was already awake and standing when my father and the Lady came for me. It was the Lady who opened the cage and dragged me out. No words were spoken as I was lead back to the throne room.

Ginnette was sitting upright, examining a dark metal blade embellished with a few gems. The evil presence was richer than when I first faced her, The Dark One's power had grown. Verulus stood at her side, having exchanged his purple Vale robes for robes of deep reds and black. I saw no sympathy or regret in his eyes, his usual caring gaze had hardened to despisement.

I was chained up, arms raised skyward, on display for Ginnette's viewing pleasure. She looked up at me before standing, approaching me as the Lady and my father took place beside Verulus.

"You stand before me, still unbroken by the torture you've endured. How disappointing a necromancer and witch couldn't accomplish an easy task."

"It takes more than pain inflicted by my foster mother and biological father to break me. Not even your betrayal is enough for me."

The blade of the dagger she had been holding was quickly buried into my stomach several times as she reacted in anger. I bit my tongue, struggling to keep silent through the pain.

"You will beg for your death!"

"I already welcome death." I spat at her, earning another stab.

She clawed my face with long sharp nails, cutting and tearing my cheek as she slapped me. I flinched and inhaled sharply. The Lady spoke, distracting Ginnette for a moment.

"Dark One, let the boy finish her off. We have to go soon, we can't keep the Prince waiting."

I groaned. "The prince?"

Ginnette turned towards me, a smug grin on her face. "Prince Ramiel is waiting for the missing princess to appear. He'll believe anyone that walks in and says they're the missing princess."

"No he won't... he... he knows who the real Princess of Alamer is. He will see her soon enough." My vision clouded over briefly, a vision of a familiar face appeared in my mind.

Ginnette struck me again. "You lie!"

"I do not lie. Just like I do not lie as I say I will break free of these chains to fight you!"

At that moment my arms dropped and I lurched forward, pushing Ginnette to the floor. I stumbled, feeling dizzy from the loss of blood.

"Cain! Now!" The Lady shouted towards Verulus as she ran to Ginnette's side.

With what strength I could muster, I blasted Verulus into a wall, knocking him out before I fell to my knees. I felt magical energy crackle and burst as I was hit, causing me to scream and fall to the floor in agony.

"Witch, Necromancer, finish her off!" Ginnette shrieked before vanishing from sight.

The Lady prepared another burst of energy, but stopped as my Father crossed the room towards me, standing protectively over me.

"Stop this, Ranine. Its bad enough you tried to kill my daughter, worse that you'd send your boy to hurt the girl he loves. This is wrong." He spoke calmly.

"No! I will not be twisted by your words!" The Lady backed away and tried to strike with another spell.

The spell bounced off, disapating as it hit a shield. My father leaned over me, placing a hand on my cheek as warmth spread from his palm.

"Hang in there Alyssah! You won't have much time between the end of this spell and when my shield spell fails! Get up and get the boy out of here!"

"B-but... what about you?" I began to grow stronger as he placed the Eye of Erwignan around my neck with his free hand.

"My time is up, it is time I finally died and moved on."

"N-no! Stop this spell father! I don't want you to die!" I sat up and hugged him.

"Its what must be done. Remember...your mother and I are so proud of you, and we know you'll go on to do great things."

I hugged my father tighter, feeling his energy draining from him. "I love you..."

"I love you too... do what must be done... the world depends on you."

He fell to the ground, the last of his life having drained from his body. I could sense the shield beginning to fail, the Lady having hit it over and over.

I stood up, grasping the Eye firmly in my hand, its magic coursing and pulsing.

"Lord Erwignan, heed my call, bestow upon me the strength I need to defeat my foe!"

I felt the power course through my body as the Eye responded, my vision darkening as the shield failed.