A Former Friend

I awoke to a dull throb in my head in a poorly lit cell. I had been stripped to near nothing, my caster robes and the Eye gone. Pulling my hands towards my face, I could see I was shackled, the dull glow of chains casting a faint light.

"Alys?" Verulus called to me, unseen but nearby.

"Verulus... what happened?"

"Ivon happened. He was the Necromancer."

"I-I know... I'm so sorry Verulus, I should have known he was there."

"I should have too."

We fell silent and candles lit aflame as the Necromancer and the Lady came into view. The Lady was smiling victoriously at me. I glanced around, standing as I growled.

We were in her workshop in the manor.

"Welcome home Alys. How glad I am to finally have you in my grasp."

She snapped her fingers and the cage door swung open. She entered the space, still smiling.

"The Dark One wants an audience with you... you both will come quietly."

I spat at her feet. "Like hell I will!"

The Lady murmured a few words and I began to feel excruciating pain that flowed from the shackles, causing me to scream. After a minute the pain subsided and I fell to my knees, tears streaming down my face.

"Think again, you brat. Get up, now!" She struck me across the cheek, enjoying the pain she was inflicting.

I stood up, shaking. With a snap of her fingers, the chains dropped, leaving the manacles wrapped around my wrists. Sharp nails dug into my arm as she began to pull me out of the cell, Verulus following obediently with Morrowgrim. I began to bleed as her grip tightened and her nails pierced my skin. A simple flick of her hand caused the wall in front of us to fade, allowing us to pass through into the familiar greenhouse in the middle of Irinis' manor.

We were lead through the halls to the room that had once functioned as a glorified throne room for the Lady, though I knew it was not she who sat in the throne. With a hard shove and a kick to the back of my legs, I was sent to my knees. I didn't dare look up towards the throne.

A dark chuckle emanated from before me, twisted, but somewhat familiar.

"Dark One, we finally brought you Alys and her companion."

"Silence you hag. You only dragged them from the cells, it was Morrowgrim who captured them. For that, necromancer, you will be rewarded. Once I take Alys' life, I will use it to give your wife another life."

"Yes, my liege, thank you." Morrowgrim responded, almost blankly.

The Dark One stood before me, the end of a dress coming into view. I knew I was being addressed.

"Look at me Alys. See me for who I am, you won't be disappointed."

"A monster like you doesn't deserve to be looked upon!"

My head was yanked sharply back by the Lady, forcing me to look up at the Dark One. I gasped as I recognized the face of the one person I had trusted during my time in Irinis.

The face belonged to none other than my once friend and informant, Ginette.

Ginette had certainly changed, no longer overweight, but thinner. Her red hair had grown longer and bright like fire. A cruel smile had replaced the soft caring ones she used to give me.

"G-ginette... no..."

"You left me Alys. You left after they caught me."

"We had no choice Ginette! Please forgive me!" I pleaded, crying.

"You left me to die. Fortunately your mother saw greatness in me... now I serve as host to the great power of the fallen god. I am it's resurrection!"

"Ginette, please listen to me! She's warped your mind with her corrupt magic! She's lied-"

"She showed me the truth Alys! I tire of you pleading for the Ginette you once knew!"

Ginette nodded to the Lady and the pain once again took over. I screamed, falling to the floor to writhe in agony on my side. Ginette stood over me, coming close and grabbing my neck, squeezing to deafen my screams. My vision began to darken as I struggled to breathe.

"Stop it." Verulus voice shook, catching the attention of Ginette.

"How dare you speak to the Dark One!" The Lady shouted as I felt Ginette's hand loosen and the pain lessen.

"You stupid hag, he has every right to speak with me. Tell me boy, why should I stop? Is it because you can't stand to see her in pain? Do you love her? Answer me." Ginette's voice was thick with intrigue.

"No. I don't love her, you could kill her for all I care. I wish to pledge my allegiance to you, I don't fancy dying thanks to a weak caster like her." His voice was cold.

Ginette stood up and walked towards him, stepping on my chest to get closer to him. "What do you gain from joining my army?"

"My mother. The Lady doesn't recognize me, but she is as I remember. I was stolen from her as a babe, from this manor."

"Cain? Cain is that really you?" The Lady's voice cracked, recognizing him. "My baby boy... you've come home."

I tried to turn towards him, wanting to see his face, silently pleading he was lying. The pain intensified again briefly, leading me to scream both from agony and heartbreak.

"You're quite handsome, for a caster. Very well, you may join my side, enjoy your reunion with your mother. As for Alys, Morrowgrim, take her back to the cell. I'll put you in charge of breaking her for me."

"Yes, Dark One. It will be my pleasure."

Ginette popped back into my field of vision, grabbing me by the neck and lifting me with unnatural strength. I struggled to breathe as she squeezed again.

"Hag, draw her blood for me. I need sustenance."

"Yes, Dark One, right away." The Lady drew a short blade before approaching.

I flinched as the cold blade ran across my arm, growing woozy as I bled more from the wound than I should have. The Lady filled a goblet, presenting it to my former friend. I was dropped to the ground, my head hitting the floor right as I lost consciousness.