2. Invincible

“Does it still hurt, Zee?” Liam asked when they were perched safely in the branches of the tree. Zayn nodded quietly, making Liam frown. He hated seeing his baby in pain, it gave him his own physical pain. “Did you take medicine for it?” He asked again, sighing sadly when Zayn nodded again. “I’m so sorry, Zee.” He apologized.

Zayn could see the hurt in his eyes and it made him feel worse. Liam always did this to himself. “Hey, hey.” He said, grabbing Liam face in both of his hands and pulling him close to kiss his lips softly. “Don’t do this, okay? You did nothing wrong and I won’t let you blame yourself for them being monsters.” He said, kissing Liam again.

Liam let Zayn break off the kiss and sighed. “It is my fault, Zayn. If we’d never started dating, your parents wouldn’t be so horrible to you.” He stated, avoiding Zayn’s eyes. He knew Zayn would be trying to convince Liam that it wasn’t his fault, but he needed to suffer, needed to know the pain he caused Zayn.

“Li, stop it, baby. Look at me” He demanded, lifting his boyfriends gaze to his own. “They were like this way before we even met, so don’t think for a second that you had any part in this.” Zayn said sternly, trying to stop all of Liam’s thoughts.

“But they never hit you until that day. When they found out about us, they hit you because of me. I should have just left you alone when you told me about them, it’s my fault.” Liam whispered, looking back down. Tears started to roll slowly down his cheeks and Zayn wiped them away with his thumbs.

“It was gonna happen eventually.” Zayn informed Liam. “I wasn’t gonna skip out on someone loving me because of them. If it wasn’t you, it would have been someone else, someone that didn’t really care like you do. But I’m happy with you, you’re my everything and I’m glad you fell in love with me so that I could love you right back.” Zayn said, voice strong and sure. “Now stop blaming yourself and kiss me, please? I need you to kiss me right now.” Zayn said, voice becoming desperate as the pain in his side sent a shock through him.

Liam kissed Zayn soft and slow, his hand on the back of Zayn’s neck pulling him close. Zayn thought he’d distracted Liam, but then a sharp pain shot through his side from the uncomfortable angle and he whimpered loudly. Liam pulled back, looking at Zayn sadly. “See! You’re hurt and it’s my fault!” Liam said sadly, letting his face fall into his hands.

He heard Zayn take in a small breath and looked back at him. “What hurts, baby?” Liam asked quietly, rubbing his hand soothingly on Zayn’s thigh to calm his cries. Zayn motioned to his side, biting his lip to stop another cry from coming out. Liam nodded and carefully pulled Zayn onto his lap, being sure not to fall out of the tree or hurt his side any more.

“I’m gonna be alright, it’s just a little pain. It’ll go away when the pills kick in.” Zayn said, resting his head on Liam’s chest.

Liam kissed the top of his head. “How many did you take, love?” Liam asked, running his fingers through Zayn’s hair.

Zayn rolled his eyes. “Only two, Li. You don’t have to ask me that every time I take pills.” Liam always asked his how many pills he took, no matter what kind they were. He was scared, and Zayn knew that. He could get why, but he’d told Liam he wouldn’t.

“I just wanna make sure, Zayn. I love you and don’t wanna lose you.” Liam said, apologetically. He knew Zayn hated when he did that, but he just wanted to make sure that the one person in the world he actually gave a fuck about and vice versa was still with him.

Zayn sighed. “I know, I know. But I already told you, you don’t have to worry about that. It would hurt too much to leave you.” Zayn said, kissing Liam softly to assure him. “Now, how was your day?” He asked quietly, laying his head on Liam’s shoulder.

“It was like every other day. I got yelled at, Ruth took my hone and locked it up, then she made me do the dishes over and over until her and Nicola passed out on the couch and then I came here. Same as every other day.” Liam said, shrugging his shoulders. It was a routine for him, and it barely ever differs. “How was your day, though?”

Zayn shrugged his shoulders, mocking Liam. “Eh, they came home drunk and made me cook dinner. Then, when I put a little too much on my mom’s plate and not enough on my dad’s they yelled and I tried to say it was an accident, but then he hit and well… ya know how that goes.” He said nonchalantly.

“Don’t act like it’s not a big deal, Zayn. They hurt you for no damn reason.” Liam said, huffing angrily.

Zayn furrowed his brow. “It’s what they do, Liam. No need to get mad, calm down.”

Liam growled, literally. “It’s not okay just because they do it. They’re your parents, but they treat you like nothing. You deserve better than them.”

Zayn sniffled. “You make me feel like the world is for me, even though I know it’s exactly the opposite. When I’m with you, I feel like I can do anything, like I can deal with this shit and be happy and like everything will be alright.” Zayn said truthfully. It wasn’t uncommon for Liam to make him feel like he was on top of the world at the times where he felt like he was buried under it, but it never failed to make him emotional.

“That’s my job, Zee, to make you feel like this. You deserve the world and I wanna be the one to give it to you. I love you so much.” Liam said, kissing Zayn slow and passionate.

“I love you, Liam, so much.” Zayn agreed against Liam’s lips. Together, they were capable of all, and they both knew that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: i know this is short, and i am so sorry! i just felt like this should be it, ya know? i hope this happy chapter makes you guys happy and makes up for the last one since it was so sad?

dedication to karley because she asked for this update!