6. Endings

“We’re done, Li! We’re finally done with all of this! We can be happy now, proper happy. It’s just me and you, Li.” Zayn said excitedly.

Not just yet, almost.” Liam said, sounding slightly panicked. “Hang in there, Zayn. Almost there, you can do it. Come on.

Zayn dropped his smile, frowning and scrunching his eyebrows. “What?”

That’s it, come on!” Liam urged him in the same panicked tone. “Come on, Zayn, do it again for me, please?

Zayn was completely lost now. Liam took his hand gently and he could feel him touching his face, but Liam’s other hand was hanging by his side. “What’s going on, Li? What are you talking about?” Zayn squeezed Liam’s hand to help comfort himself.

Liam’s face remained neutral, but his voice raised excitedly. “He squeezed my hand, he talked and he squeezed my hand, someone help!

There was a loud, shrill beeping noise, and Zayn turned his head trying to get away from it. “Stop! Liam, make it stop! What’s going on!"

“I promised you eternity, Zayn. I’m giving you that. This is your eternity, Z.” Liam gave Zayn a small smile and pulled him into a tight hug. “I told you I was sorry. This is why,” he whispered. Kissing Zayn on the lips, Liam smiled. “Bye baby, I love you.”

Zayn was about to ask what Liam was talking about, but everything disappeared and Zayn was left with only whitespace and noises. He jerked around, trying to find something other than bright white.

Zayn, Zayn! Calm down, you’re okay!” Someone shouted at him, but there was no one around. “Get a doctor, patient is convulsing.

‘Patient? Doctor?’ Zayn questioned to himself. What the hell was happening to him?

Set the defibrillator to 136 joules. Charge!

Zayn furrowed his brow. Before he had any time to think about what was happening, his body jolted forward and he found himself on his knees in the white world with his chest aching. “What is this?” Zayn asked, voice hysterical.

136 joules. Charge!” Zayn felt the pain again and clutched his heart. “One more time. 136 joules. Charge!

Again, Zayn felt his body jerk and fell face down. “Fuck! Stop!”

There was a sigh. “I’m calling it. Time of death: 7:34 pm. Friday, November 14th, 2014.

In a final attempt to stop whatever was happening to him, Zayn reached his hand out into the stark white room.

No, no, no! Wait, look!” “Patient is showing signs of life. Hand movements.” “Final attempt. 136 joules. Charge!

The floor beneath Zayn gave out and the white room went dim as he feel. Maybe this was finally the end. He was at peace.

XXX

A small, constant beep was sounding. Zayn didn’t know what the hell it was, but it was annoying the hell out of him. Why has his death thus far been so loud and aggravating?

“Turn it off.” Zayn said, but even as the sound left his mouth, he could tell it was a lot raspier than it was in his head.

“Zayn! Talk again, please?”