ch. 4 - new student

'Angels must be warm to fly

That's why she always slept in socks.'

-Atticus

||||

"Adeline?"

She opened her eyes; the Hospital wing the same as always, a warm and soft blanket upon her. It was almost... boring for her. She didn't do much there, apart from talk to Harry whenever he came, which was always the highlight of her days and nights.

Adeline was itching to explore; she wanted to know... more. She wanted to learn; she wanted to meet people. She had so many questions about this place; how big was it? Who else attends this school... Hogwarts?

Harry had to explain to her that it was a school when she asked about the castle; she had originally thought it to be a house, though, some would say she was correct in assuming that; it was a home to many.

Looking around, she spotted Harry by her bed and, judging how she wasn't tired after her sleep nor had the sun risen, she assumed it was early in the morning. But, now she thought of it, she didn't remember even going to sleep, though she knew that it was sometime in the afternoon; only remembering closing her eyes on Harry's shoulder...

"Um... Professor McGonagall told me to give these to you... I'll be showing you around..." He said, gently placing a pile of folded clothes, presumably a uniform, on the night stand to her right.

Seeing her furrowed eyebrows, Harry explained;

"You're going to classes today. No! Don't worry, you're in all of my classes..." Harry said, after seeing her rather fearful expression, though it only faded slightly after those words.

"I'll let you get dressed... I'll just close this..." He said, walking to the left side of her bed and pulling a curtain around her bed, so she was enclosed in it, before walking out of it; waiting outside the curtain.

After a while of figuring out which piece of clothing goes where, she had finally dressed; she quite liked the uniform; the white shirt, black tights and skirt were her favourites, though she wasn't quite sure what to do with a few items.

"Harry?" She asked, opening the curtain, Harry turning around.

"Yeah?"

"What's this?" She asked, holding up a long piece of fabric covered with stripes of Gold and Scarlet. He chuckled.

'It's a tie," He said, before pointing to his own, as he was in his uniform. "this is what it looks like when you've got it on."

Her expression of curiosity and amazement made him smile in amusement.

"Here..." He said, walking over and gently grabbing the tie from her hold, their hands brushing, as he lifted her collar and wrapped the tie around her neck, placing the collar back down and tying the tie.

The tie was messy, but she didn't care; it was just fascinating. How did someone come up with it? How long did it take to get the right length? Did they know what they were doing when they came up with it, or did they just figure it out by accident?

She smiled brightly and almost wasn't able to take her eyes off of it; she loved it! It looked so complicated, though Harry had done it as though he had a thousand times, even if it was a tad scruffy.

"Thank you! What about these?" She asked, holding up a pair of black flats. He, once again, smiled in amusement; her eagerness and fascination for such simple and ordinary things was quite entertaining.

||||

As Harry showed Adeline around, she couldn't help but be amazed at the size of this place; the mansion she 'grew up' in was nothing compared to this! Of course, she had needed some help with her uniform; the tie, shoes, jumper, robe and scarf were all things that Harry had to help with.

"This is beautiful!" She said, looking around in wonder.

"We only just left the Hospital wing," Harry laughed as they turned the corner, only to find Peeves; the school's mischievous poltergeist.

"Ooh! Does ickle-Potty have a girlfriend?" He giggled, Harry glaring whilst Adeline stared wide-eyed at the poltergeist, her mouth agape; speechless.

"Nothing to say? Oh, how very rude, how very rude, indeed. Well, Potty, you and girly, here, shall have to learn some manners!" And before Harry could retort, Peeves began throwing water-balloons (that came out of nowhere) at the two, giggling hysterically. One hit the ground next to Adeline's foot; Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the way just in time.

The two began running down the corridors; dodging the balloons as Peeves chased them. They swiftly turned a corner; running down the corridor, before Adeline thought quickly. She skidded to a stop, Harry stopping with her –considering they were holding hands.

She wrenched open a door nearby; it was a broom cupboard. The two ran in and shut the door, careful not to make a sound. The two were rather close; it was quite a small space, and they were pushed together; they held their breaths as they heard Peeves pass.

He seemed to not suspect they were hiding and said out loud;

"Ooh! They must've run faster than I thought! I'll find them!" Though, Adeline wasn't sure why he was saying that; there wasn't anyone there to hear, unless...

But Harry had already opened the door and walked out, leading Adeline out with him. It was unusually quiet; Adeline closed the door and turned around, only to be met with water balloons pelting her and Harry.

The two stood there, before Peeves ran out of balloons and flew away, cackling joyfully, leaving Harry and Adeline dripping wet from head-to-toe.

"..."

"..."

"I did not expect that to happen at 5 in the morning..." Harry muttered, wiping his glasses before turning to Adeline, who had the biggest smile on her face.

"I'm sorry about that... it doesn't usually happen... Well, on second-thought, actually..."

"That was amazing!" She laughed, Harry rather astonished; he certainly did not expect her reaction to be genuinely cheerful.

||||

Harry eventually led Adeline to the Gryffindor common room; They just reached the staircases when she gasped;

"They're... moving!" Pointing to the ever-changing staircases.

"Yeah," Harry grinned, turning and smiling even more as he saw her amazed expression; he was pretty sure that that must've been his first reaction, too.

"Keep it down, will you! We're trying to sleep!" a voice sounded from near them.

Adeline screamed, the sound echoing through the place; she covered her mouth when more voices of complaint sounded from hundreds of portraits which hung on the walls.

Turning around, Harry watched as she made a noise of interest as she inspected the portrait of a grumpy old man;

"What are you looking at!?"

"S-sorry..."

Harry motioned for her to follow him as she turned back around sheepishly, and began to walk almost too carefully with Harry up the staircase; holding onto the rail rather tightly; water dripping from their robes and onto the floor, Adeline loosening her grip slightly when she realised that it wasn't that bad. She leaned towards Harry, whispering in his ear;

"I'm not very good at this whole... 'student' thing, am I?"

He smiled slightly, turning to her;

"You're getting there."