the choosing ceremony *rewritten*

rewritten 10/2013

(Aryann)

After staring at a plateful of food, I walked to the dormitory to change into dress clothes for the ceremony. I'd better look nice when I'm sentenced to life on a farm. But I might not end up there. What if someone chose to teach me? I'd never been this nervous in my life. My heart was throbbing at triple speed and every noise caused me to jump. I forced myself to take calming breaths that are ineffective.

I frowned when I reached the room the girls my age shared. Dresses were laid out on all of the other beds. I however, tugged on an emerald tunic with red and gold maple leaves embroidered along the bottom and neckline, brown leggings, and my brown leather boots that covered my entire calf. I had embroidered the tunic when the other girls were doing handkerchiefs and such, it was one of the nicest things I owned.

Then, I strolled over to the communal mirror over a table with a bowl and pitcher of water. Next to it was a stack of washcloths. When I saw my face I sighed. Dried blood crusted my cheek, and my black eye was swollen and a puffy purple.

After scrubbing my face twice, the blood was rather stubborn, and combing my almost shoulder length hair so the bangs were swept to one side hiding part of my face,I departed.

I was not the first nor the last to arrive outside the baron's office. But, I was the most nervous because, quite frankly, I had no idea what I wanted to be, and I knew I don't have the right personality for the "crafts".

After the last people arrive (the other girls) the tension in the room became almost palpable. The boys were shuffling nervously about, and the girls frantically rubbed their hands together, murmuring. All the while, I think, what do they have to worry about!?! They know their future! Mine is a mystery, even to me! But surprisingly, I appear the most calm. Maybe part of their nerves were the worry that they won't get into what they want, I haven't gotten my hopes up.

Then the Baron's secretary came and arranged us by gender. Boys first, then other girls. I'm last of course.

We entered the small circular chamber, and the choosing started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Gilan)

I ran my hand through my hair one last time before entering the Baron's study. I purposely came before the other craftmasters so I could assume an unnoticeable position along they rear wall.

The youths file in, then the craftmasters. Predictably, all the boys but Theodore are placed in battleschool, probably because they are all brawn and no brain. Theodore is placed in scribeschool, much to both his, and the craftmaster's delight. The girls end up in either the kitchens or as couriers. Leaving only Aryann.

She shifts nervously from foot to foot as her name is announced. When her preference of school is asked, she surprises us with a monotone answer. 

"I know not of what future I shall have.  I am ill suited to many of the crafts. I leave my fate to your judgement." 

She calmly locks eyes with each of the craftmasters and then turns her gaze on the Baron.  He sighs uncomfortably.  This in itself confirms her words.  The awkward glances between the craftsmasters nearly grow unbearable.  It takes self control to restrain myself from voicing my opinion immediately. 

As if to furher seal her fate, the baron asks her to stay after. She nods and steps to the side.  The other youths file out and she keeps her gaze on the floor, too ashamed to meet their eyes.  The Craftsmasters exit a different door.  

Once the others leave, she turns, and with deliberate slowness, walks to the Baron's cluttered desk. I feel sorry for her, but still am unsure about taking her on as an apprentice.

The baron looks at her, sighs and, in as gentle of a voice as he can muster, asks her to sit down.

"My dear, I'm afraid that you may ...uh..have to...uh...how can I put this, be required to work on a farm for a career."

"I understand, sir."  Again she speaks in a resigned monotone.  I assume she guessed her future befor entering the room. Well, I suppose if she does what I expect she will be surprised. 

"Aryann, I'm sorry.  If there were a different option........" The baron floundered.

"I understand sir. May I be excused now?"  She said sounding slightly shakey.  As the Baron nodded, I decided to put my plan into action.  Stepping forward, out of seeming shadow, I reveled in the surprise playing on Aryann and the Baron's faces. I calmly spoke. 

"Sir, might I have a word after supper?"