throwing knives at targets pretending they're people

(a/n sorry it's been a while. I've had so many other story ideas, that I put this one in the back of my mind.)

Dedicated to Everdeensfire for enthusiasm!

(Aryann's pov)

"take the arrow out of the quiver. Draw to your cheek, other cheek! Aim,...........fire!" Gilan called.  My fingers flicked off the fletching, the arrow flew fast and straight, and landed five feet in front of the target.  I was so disraught I scarcely noticed Gilan wander off.

"Damn it!" I swore, stamping my foot in frustration. Amongst other muttered curses I drew another arrow. This one too fell feet short of the target. In fact, in five minutes, that whole area of the tree lined field was littered with arrows.

"Aryann! I go to get a drink of water, and when I come back the whole place is a mess!" Gilan was back. He calmly took the bow and said, "maybe we should break from archery, and try something I've been told your reasonable at. Throw a knife at that target."

Flashing him a glance, I pulled a knife from it's sheath. Effortlessly, I flicked my wrist, sending the blade hurtling into the straw covered wood. Thwammm!! The handle appeared a foot to the right of the center. .  

"Augh! Missed!" I mumbled as Gilan congratulated me.

"that's pretty good considering you've never had formal training. Throw another."

I was about to throw, my hand was raised, my eyes on the target, when a voice I had hoped to not hear again intervened.

The lilting tones of Robin Drakes cut threw the predominant quiet. "Mr Ranger sir! Mr ranger! I have a letter for you!" She ran right in front of the target. In that split second, I had the ruthless idea of throwing and saying I didn't see her. But, my common sense kept my head, and I refrained.

"Mr ranger! Here's your letter." Said a breathless Robin. She turned and saw me, "what are you doing here?" she asked disdainfully.

I snorted, "what in Hell does it look like? I'm training!"

Her mouth formed an "o" at my language. I laughed even more at that. Gilan shooed her off and walked inside, his nose still buried in the letter. When he finished, I immediately asked what it was about.

"Well, tonight we'll have a visitor!"

"what?!"

"my old mentor, Halt, is returning to redmont. He is going to stay the night, coming around dinnertime because he'd much rather sleep under a roof, than ride four more hours and sleep on the side of the road."

I felt nerves clench my stomach. I was not a big fan of meeting new people.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promise the next update will come sooner rather than later!

Please vote and comment!