Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I crept into the square hiding behind some girls who were obviously from the richer part of the district. I couldn't believe this abomination who sends kids away to an arena and let's them kill off almost everyone.

I twisted my purple gemstone ring around my hand anxiously. The boring video went on Steffa gave a boring speech and then they picked the tributes.

"Lady's first." She pranced over in her 5 inch heals and shuffling her hand around in the metallic bowl. Finally she brought up the unlucky girls piece of paper. Please don't be me please don't be me. I chant in my head crossing my fingers hoping for the best.

"Wolf Rivers is our female tribute for our 100th hunger games." She squeaked in a peppy voice. Well crap. I slowly made my way up. Everyone staring at me as I slowly walked up to the stage. I shook Steffa's hand much harder then I should have. She noticeably winced.

She now pranced over to the other ball. She dipped her hand in shuffling it around. Until she pulled out the unlucky slip. "Terence Hughes is our male tribute for our one hundredth hunger games." A little boy at the most twelve started walking up. I bet my eyes noticeably softened. The kid was only a year younger but still just a kid.

When we went in to shake his hand I leaned in closer whispering in his ear. "Don't worry I'll get you out." He looked up and smiled at me. He nodded and I nodded too as we both leaned back in our spots.

"Now is there any volunteers?" Steffa shouted into the microphone.

"I volunteer as male tribute for district seven." A boy that looked similar to Terrance yelled out. He ran up to the stage hugging Terence and slightly pushed him away. Volunteers aren't rare in district seven but they aren't common either. You know forestry district not exactly loved by all. The boy had light brown hair and eyes just like Terrance maybe a brother or something.

"What's your name deary?" Steffa asked the boy.

He winced when she called him deary. "Mitchell Hughes." He could be a cousin too but it's more likely a brother.

"Everyone our male and female tributes for district seven." Steffa screamed into the microphone very few clapped but some did. We didn't live in a perfect world anyway.

She tried putting her hands in the small of my back which made me let out a low growl. She instantly pulled away. We walked to a car and we're shoved in by peacekeepers the capitols guardians of the districts.

Mitchell was admiring the car intently as if the glory of it all would safe him from the games. Nothing could safe anyone from the games. I'm hoping me and Mitchell win because ever since the seventy fourth hunger games if two people were from the same district they could both win. Thank you Katniss and Peeta.

"I'm Mitch." Stated Mitch sticking out his hand. He was smiling as if we weren't being sent off to our deaths.

"Wolf." I grunted. His smile fades and he brings his hand down as we pull up to our large justice building.

The escort us inside and we're seated on leather couches in separate rooms. I don't really expect anyone to come visit me I have no family no friends nothing to live for really.

I'm surprised when an older lady and and Terrance walk in. " Okay so I know you offered to protect Ter and I'm hoping you'll please protect Mitch. He's my son I can't watch him go out on his own like that. He doesn't know much about survival and trusts people to early. I don't think ed e able to kill either." Mrs. Hughes said twiddling her thumbs together. "Can you please promise me that?" She asked.

I nodded with a friendly smile. "I promise." Get him out alive got it. She nodded too before the peacekeepers made them leave. Me and Mitch were forced into another car then into a train where we lead to a fancy cart filled with rare foods.