Chapter One

Chapter One

Two years ago...

Today was the day. It was the day that Melanie would finally become the wife that she always dreamed that she would be. Countless days were spent with her running around like a chicken with its head cut off. When it came to this special occasion, she needed for it to be the perfect thing. She didn't want anything or anyone ruining her big day. It was just minutes before she would debut her beautiful white Vera Wang Fiona wedding dress. The search of finding the perfect wedding dress was probably the hardest thing for her. Melanie was very selective. Countless times, she yelled about not wanting a traditional wedding.

She wasn't a church going girl. There were times when she never thought about her religion, not minding the fact that her family was 96% Christian. She didn't want her wedding in a church. It was disrespectful in her eyes. Behind finding the perfect wedding dress, she had to find the best caterer and cake designer. Most women would have wanted their husbands to help them with the wedding – but not Melanie. She wanted complete control over everything. The only input he had was the guest list and his groomsmen.

"Are you ready, baby?" Mariah, Melanie's mother smiled behind her. Both women stood in the floor mirror and admired the bride of the day.

Melanie beamed with excitement. "Yess! I can't wait to walk down that aisle and just see everything. You know I haven't seen the place since yesterday."

Mariah laughed. "Nothing has changed, girl. Only difference is your groom and loved ones are out there."

Melanie smoothed the white dress out and smiled. Even though she didn't want a traditional wedding, it turned out that way when she first laid eyes on this beauty. There was a knock at the door, causing them both to turn toward the door. Her mother patted her shoulder, letting her know that she had two minutes to gather herself. Her mother strutted out of the room, leaving Melanie to herself.

She thought about the love of her life, Jermaine. The two of them had met three years ago when she was finishing her last year in school majoring in Education. They cliqued very well, and ended up in a relationship like no other. They had their problems like any other couple, but they always made through it.

There was another knock at the door, causing Melanie to frown. Everyone was supposed to be awaiting her grand arrival, not knocking on her door. She waltzed toward the door and opened it. Shock immediately ran through her body as she stood face to face with her groom.

"What are you doing here?!" Melanie asked in confusion.

There was nothing but seriousness on Jermaine's face. "We need to talk," Jermaine spoke lowly before inviting himself into the room with her. He closed the door behind himself; his eyes never left his bride's.

"About what?"

"I don't think it's a good idea for us to go through with the wedding today."

Melanie narrowed her eyes and could feel everything crashing down. "Why? What's going on out there? Do I need to go out there, Jermaine?"

Jermaine laughed softly, knowing that his fiancé would be quick to control a situation whether people liked it or not. "No. Everything out there is fine. Everyone's patiently waiting, actually."

"Then what are you talking about Jermaine?" Her voice was laced with desperation and confusion.

There she stood in the beautiful white Vera Wang wedding dress. Today was supposed to mark the day that she walked down the aisle to finally wed the man that she'd be romantically involved with for three years.

Her fiancé, Jermaine sighed and grabbed her hand, "I'm saying that we can't go through with this wedding today."

Melanie narrowed her eyes and immediately snatched her hand away from him. She was panicking on the inside, but she wouldn't allow him to see that. Her hurt and anger was clearly visible. "Do you not realize that there are more than five hundred people out there waiting for us to say our vows? Why?"

"It's not the right time to talk about it," Jermaine insisted.

"Nigga you better have a damn good explanation and I wanna hear it right now!" Melanie yelled at him. She didn't care who had their ears glued to the locked door. She was in the middle of a crisis.

"We have a problem, and we need to deal with it before we get married."

Melanie frowned up and folded her arms across her chest, "What problem do we have?"

"Infidelity."

Melanie spun around and turned her back to him. For all these years, she had boasted about how they didn't have infidelity problems. She was adamant to people that they were in love and that was that.

"What did you do?"

Jermaine grew silent, as if he were thinking. "When you lost the baby, you withdrew from everyone. You stayed at your home and didn't want to talk to anyone. You blamed the school for your problems and you were vengeful," he spoke.

"You're blaming me for you not being understanding that I miscarried my damn child?"

"No, no, no!" Jermaine quickly spoke, "But it was then that I felt neglected. I didn't have my girlfriend. She was sulking over a child that she had known about for a week. Ashley and I..."

"You and Ashley?!" That was the final straw. Melanie didn't want to hear anything that he had to say. She laughed bitterly and began running to the door. After unlocking it and getting it open, she could feel that Jermaine was running after her, but Melanie was on a mission.

"Melanie!" Jermaine continued calling after her as he chased his bride.

Melanie prayed that she didn't fall and allow this man to catch her. When she finally made it to where their ceremony was supposed to be held, she rushed in. The gasps of everyone didn't startle her one bit. Her eyes were glued on her maid of honor. Melanie didn't want to think too much into what was going on, but she couldn't help but lose it when her eyes fixated on Ashley's baby bump. The same reason that Melanie went with Ashley to the doctor to cry tears of joy for her best friend.

"Whose baby is it, Ashley?" Melanie questioned as she walked down the aisle, her eyes never leaving the now confused Ashley.

Ashley frowned and looked around, "My boyfriend's. Why? Why are you not back in the back? Where is Jermaine?"

"Don't worry about him. This is about the fact that you slept with my fiancé!" The room grew quiet as Melanie's anger was pushing the limit. She had never been one to contain her anger. Even though this news would be embarrassing to some, Melanie was too infuriated to allow it to hurt her.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Melanie spoke once she made it to the podium. "I am officially calling off my dream wedding. I was just informed by the man that I was supposed to marry that he'd cheated on me with my best friend and he can't go through with this wedding. As you can see, my best friend is pregnant, so I obviously need answers. Also, if either one of you assholes think I'm going to privately get these answers, you've lost your damn mind."

Jermaine strode up to Melanie and glared down at her. She could see him clenching his jaw, showing signs of anger. "Melanie let's talk privately."

"Privately? Haven't you done enough in private, Jermaine? Let's be out in the open. Let's let our family and friends know that you can't keep your dick in your pants to save your life." Melanie laughed and turned around to Ashley, "Ashley! Let your boyfriend know how big of a hoe you are. Let him know that that baby may not even be his! Your mother is out there; let her know the type of bitch she raised!"