Chapter Twenty One

It was her lunch break soon after the meeting. She was really tired of the state government always coming in attempting to regulate things. Yes, this was a firm that usually did things their way. They got to the bottom of everything given to them simply by the whole "any means necessary". It was how she would handle Jermaine as well. Her first means was waiving his fees. But with that came his limited time, which she would fix soon enough. Quickly checking the watch on her wrist, she began getting her things ready to go.

"Lunch date?" A voice asked from her door. Melanie looked up, and knew that it was none other than Shawn.

"No," Melanie started, "I gotta handle some business and come back."

"When will you be back?"

"In about an hour. Why?"

"Nothing. Well, I guess I'll go back to the studio. Thought I'd come and take you to lunch."

Melanie blushed before rolling her eyes at him. "Sorry. But I really have to go. I'll call you later?"

"Oh...you wasn't before?"

Melanie laughed as she walked up to him. "Nah."

Shawn looked down at her. The chemistry was there and could be seen simply by Melanie's reluctance to even look up at him. Shawn took her chin with his finger and raised it up. Their lips met for a soft kiss and quickly turned into more.

"This is some sick shit," Corey said from the hallway, causing them to stop.

Shawn turned to look at his brother with a soft chuckle. "Mind ya business, young man."

"Young?" Melanie asked. "Well, aren't you polite."

"I am young, Melanie!" Corey retorted.

"....in what generation?" Melanie asked her best friend, causing Shawn to laugh a bit.

"Okay, Melanie. I sign your paycheck."

Melanie laughed softly before walking past them both. "I will see you later," she said to Corey. "I will call you later," she told Shawn.

Walking out of the office, Melanie let out a deep breath. She knew that what she was about to do was a bit risky, but she didn't care. Something was going on and a child was involved. It was the only thing that mattered to her. As she drove, she looked down at her phone for the time. Arriving to her destination, Melanie pulled into the driveway. She knew that the woman usually had her car in the garage, so it didn't bother her not seeing a car in the driveway. Melanie got out of her car and walked to the front door of Ashley's mother's house. Yes, Melanie was overstepping all types of boundaries, but she didn't care not one bit.

Seeing her mother open the door, Melanie smile appeared. She loved Ashley's mother to death. The woman was a sweet woman. She treated Melanie just like her very own daughter, and that was warming to Melanie. Even after the whole thing, Ms. Brenda made sure that Melanie knew that she was still welcomed to come around. It was Melanie's decision to decline the offer, because she felt as though it would have been too much to see Ashley's mother, while completely ignoring Ashley.

"Melanie?" Ms. Brenda questioned as she held the door open for her.

Melanie smiled and nodded as she entered the home. "Yeah, how have you been?"

"Girl, I've been fine as always. How about you? I haven't seen you in years."

Melanie simply smiled as her and Ms. Brenda began making their way to the kitchen. It was always Ms. Brenda's favorite spot to discuss anything. She'd simply make you your drink of choice, give you a small snack, and the everything will be let out. She didn't have to ask Melanie what she wanted, because it was always the same thing - apple juice and a slice of cake.