Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"I'm only doing this because I refuse to talk to my mother," Melanie told Jermaine once more as she ran around her bedroom, adding accessories to the short gold and silver dress that she wore. She was going to be attending Corey's birthday party and she couldn't wait.

Jermaine stood in the doorway and watched her. "How many times are you going to tell me that, Mel?"

Mel stopped in her tracks of looking for her five inch heels and looked at him. "Until you realize that you weren't the first option."

At this point, Melanie would do anything to erase the fact that Jermaine kissed her days ago. She hadn't spoken to him since due to their work schedules, but today she needed him to watch Julian. Finally, she was ready to go. She stood in her mirror and examined herself once more. It felt good that she was going out once again to simply be free. It also felt good to throw this moment in Jermaine's face. For two years, she didn't go out to events because she had a son to watch after. Sure, that was partially her fault, but somewhere deep down, Melanie felt as though Jermaine didn't try hard enough for his son.

"I should be back around eleven, I don't plan on staying long. Everything you need is listed on the refrigerator. There is nothing in my bedroom for you to see, so please don't invade my privacy like that. Don't have anyone in my house, either."

Jermaine shook his head. "I'm not a child, Mel."

"Didn't say you were. Just telling you this is my damn house. When he wakes up, feed him whatever he wants. If it's not healthy, do it in moderation."

After going over more things that she shouldn't have to with a father, Melanie was finally inside the venue for the party.

Seeing Corey, she smiled brightly and walked over to him. He was donned in, yet another, tuxedo. This one looked more expensive than his normal attire, but this was a special occasion.

"Hey there," Melanie greeted. He was standing with a group of people that she had never seen before.

Corey turned around and smiled at her. "Wow," he looked at her attire as if he didn't help her pick it out just two days ago.

"Hey! Eyes up here, big boy," she laughed as she pointed to her eyes.

"You caught me, you caught me," Corey laughed.

Melanie tilted her head. "You okay? You sound a bit...different."

He frowned, "Nah, I'm fine..."

"You sure?"

"Positive Ms..."

Melanie rolled her eyes playfully at Corey. "So now you don't know my name?"

"Uh..we've never met before, beautiful."

"Corey, we work in the same damn office."

Corey burst out into laughter. He wrapped an arm around Melanie and began walking her to another group of people. She could see Dana's figure from the back. The woman was a beautiful dark skinned woman. Melanie always grew nervous when she was around her. Dana had a way of intimidating people, and out of the respect for her husband, no one said a word.

"Corey, I found one of your friends."

Melanie looked at Corey, who had his arm draped around her shoulder before looking to Corey who just turned around standing next to Dana.

"Wait a minute.."