From the Dust - Part 7

I didn't make it to my bed, and ended up sleeping most of the day on the couch. Joel had been infuriated when he'd found out Leo had bitten me, but he'd taken my story surprisingly well. He seemed eager to help, as long as I was telling the truth. I wondered if this was one of his werewolf traits, as packs were family units, where everyone protected each other, or if he would have been this way as a normal human being. Maybe it was both. 

Leo didn't talk to me all night. He didn't want to believe me. I think it was because he knew I was right, and he didn't want to acknowledge that he was wrong. Plus ... he wasn't really ashamed of what he'd done. In fact, when I woke up, I caught him staring hungrily at me. I think he liked it.

"Braken, you're awake," Joel said as I sat up.

"I guess," I muttered, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and wincing. I had a huge headache. Every time I turned my head, the world spun around. I could barely stay upright, and fell back against the couch, as if I'd been drugged.

Joel frowned and rushed over, laying me back against the arm rest. "Hey, you don't look so good." He rested the back of his hand against my forehead and I twitched away from him. His hand was burning hot. "You're so pale ... How do you feel?"

"What?" I mumbled. "Oh ... um ... dizzy. Can I have some water?"

"Sure."

He left and then returned with a cup of water, and I struggled to take it from him. I kept spilling it down my sweater. I took a few sips, and then had to stop as I began to feel queasy. What was happening to me? I felt like I couldn't function.

I could see the worry in Joel's face. He was afraid. For all we knew, I could be dying.

I wasn't dying. At least ... I didn't think I was.

Joel gently turned my head and checked the bandage on my neck, and as he did, his eyes widened. "Leo, did you do this?"

"Do what?" he said in a monotone from across the room.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked. I brought my hand up to touch it, but Joel forced it back down and carefully pulled the gauze off of my skin.

It was completely soaked, not because it had been wet - no, I'd been very careful to keep it out of the water - but because the bite on my neck was still oozing blood.

"I only bit him once, if that's what you're wondering," Leo said coldly.

"It's ... no wonder you're sick. You're losing too much blood."

Joel quickly ran to the kitchen to get more gauze, and I put my hand against the wounds, just to see. My fingers came away dark with blood. Oh no. As soon as the bandage was off, I could feel it trickling down my neck, pooling at my collar bone and dripping down my chest.

"Tonight, of all nights," Joel muttered, returning with a bowl of warm water, a rag, and lots of new bandage.

"Sorry?" I said. The water felt good, but it stung when he gently dabbed my neck.

"It's not your fault. Hold still."

"It's almost seven," Leo said. "You'd better leave."

"I can't leave Braken." Joel's eyes were determined and there was the fire of protection burning inside him. I'd only known him for six days, and yet he already felt like this. I didn't deserve his protection. I dropped my eyes in shame and felt my pale face grow just a little pink. The water in the bowl was already black with my blood.

"You also can't stay here and endanger him," Leo said, making a good point. I knew werewolves often hurt the ones they loved when they were out of control.