ch. 8 | one night

The walk to Betty's didn't take too long considering how small Riverdale was. Jughead's backpack bounced painfully on and off his back but luckily the bitingly cold wind was starting to have a numbing effect after a half hour of walking through deserted midnight streets.

He finally made it to Betty's about ten minutes after 12am. All of the lights were off in her house and in Archie's next door which he was more than thankful for. He thought about grabbing the ladder and climbing up to her window like he'd done earlier, before they found the car. He wasn't sure he'd make it with his back so damaged. Instead he figured she'd be tossing and turning, her mind going over the tumultuous night they'd had and where Polly might've run to. He texted her.

Hey Betty sorry for the late notice but is there anyway I can stay at your's tonight?

Jughead crossed his fingers, hoping she wasn't fast asleep. He didn't really have a Plan B and walking back over to Pop's now seemed impossible with the freezing wind and the agony stemming from his back and shoulders.

He was contemplating sending another message, starting the journey to Pop's or just collapsing where he stood when his phone vibrated.

Of course! Where are you now?

Jughead felt like a literal weight had been lifting from his aching shoulders as he typed a reply.

Downstairs. Don't think I can manage the ladder right now.

Within seconds the front door opened and Betty was there in pyjamas and a robe, a stricken, worried look plastered on her face. He staggered over to the threshold and she ran out to meet him halfway.

"Betty, you're barefoot," he said, frowning. "It's freezing out here."

"Said the guy who just walked here," she admonished but by the sound of her voice she was close to tears. "Are you okay? Just tell me, don't make me ask you a million questions."

"Can we just go inside first? It's pretty cold out here."

"Yes, yes of course, we'll have to be quiet. Mom's asleep, she took a Valium after the whole Polly thing but she's still a light sleeper."

"No problem, I can be quiet."

They got to the front door and Jughead shifted the backpack on his shoulder, involuntarily letting a hiss of pain escape. Without words, Betty lifted the strap from his shoulder and took the bag before closing the front door behind them.

"Thank you," Jughead whispered.

The two of them headed upstairs to Betty's room and she closed the door silently behind them. Jughead didn't really know where or what to do so he sat down on the chair in front of the vanity. Betty sat down on her bed.

"What happened? Don't avoid my questions. Just tell me," Betty demanded but she kept her voice soft and gentle.

"My Dad happened," Jughead admitted. "The drugs in Jason and Polly's getaway car were from the Serpents. I don't know how either of them managed to have a car full of Serpent drugs but that's where it all came from. I think...I think Dad followed us out to Route 40. He set the car on fire after we left to go get the Sheriff. He got angry at me Betty. He thought that the Serpents and him would be implicated in Jason's murder because of those drugs."

"Well of course they would be, that's the logical connection," Betty said.

"I know Betty. As soon as I saw those drugs I knew the Serpents were connected with Jason's murder," Jughead said. He sighed, pulled off his beanie and ran his fingers through his unruly black fringe. "My Dad seems to think that our investigating is going to lead to him getting arrested for Jason's murder."