ch. 21 | the third man

Now that Alice Cooper was helping out at the Blue and Gold, Jughead was starting to see a lot more of her. He wasn't overly worried about it - after all, it appeared that even though she knew bits and pieces of Jughead's tumultuous relationship with his father, she wasn't going to the police to report it, and for that he was more than thankful. They'd had more than a handful of conversations, especially in the Blue and Gold's office, but she hadn't really asked him anything personal ever not since that day at the Cooper's house when she'd seen firsthand the work of FP's belt. He still hadn't even returned to Betty's place after that time - now that he was staying at Archie's, she'd just come over or they'd chill at a booth in Pop's.

The status quo was completely dismantled the week of Homecoming. After Alice's request, Jughead found Betty in the gym, setting up for the dance.

"Hey you," he called up the ladder.

Betty looked down at him with a smile and descended to his level.

"Why didn't you tell me about the dinner?" Jughead asked, a little warily.

"What?" Betty frowned.

"Your Mom basically tackled me in the hall to invite me over to dinner before the dance," Jughead explained. He couldn't help the instinctual search of her eyes to see if she was going to lie to him - it was a bad habit but being constantly in fear of FP had helped him in reading people. "Did you not know?"

"No, no, of course," Betty replied quickly. She looked nervous, which made Jughead nervous but he pushed the anxiety away forcefully - this was Betty for God's sake. "I've just, you know, got so many plates spinning. I'm a little terrified about the social experiment of it all, but I think it's good for you to get to know my family a little more, I suppose."

Jughead couldn't help the nervous swallow but he nodded.

"You look terrified," Betty said softly, placing her hand on his shoulder. She didn't miss the slight shudder that moved through his body at her touch but she gazed into his light green eyes trying to make him feel more secure. Make him feel safe.

"I...I kind of am," Jughead whispered back to her. "Is your Mom...is she going to...she's not going to ask about my Dad right?" he finally got out.

"No!" Betty replied then in a calmer voice continued, "No she would never. I'll make sure of it."

Jughead nodded, mulling it all over for a brief moment before looking up at her. "Alright Betty Cooper, just this once."

"Thank you Jughead Jones," she replied, leaning forward to land a kiss on his lips.

"I know what you're doing Mom," Betty said, striding into the kitchen with purpose.

"Whatever do you mean?" Alice asked, not looking up from her work, "I'm making peach pie for our guest."

"No, you're laying out some sort of scheme, trying to make Jughead tell you what's going on with his father," Betty countered.

"On the contrary Betty, I just want to make sure that boy of your's gets a proper dinner - I've seen pizza get delivered next door far too often."

"So you're not going to question Jughead about his father? Or about the murder then?" Betty asked.

"Only if it comes up in casual conversation," Alice replied.

"I'm not playing this game with you Mom," Betty said, "and neither is Jughead, not after I tell him what you're planning here."

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Betty?" Alice sighed at her daughter. "When I invited Jughead, he looked so excited. Like it really meant a lot to him that I want to get to know him more. That's all I'm after, honey."