ch. 24 | body of evidence

"What? What happened to him not coming in today?!" Betty whispered hurriedly to Archie as she watched Jughead walk into the school cafeteria. He was limping and his face was covered in bruises but he was putting on a brave front. The cafeteria was awash with hushed whispers as Jughead walked right up to Cheryl's table who stood up, a shocked look on her flawless face.

"I'm sorry, Cheryl," Jughead said quietly. He honestly wasn't sure what he expected her to say but he certainly didn't think she'd slap him and start pounding his chest with her delicate fists. They didn't do much damage on their own but with the rough treatment he'd received from Stinger, it was enough to have him staggering back as the Principal stepped in.

"Enough! Mr Jones, you need to come with me," he ordered. "Right now."

"He was apologising, he didn't do anything wrong," Betty protested, jumping to her feet, even while Jughead stood there silently. "Cheryl!"

"I barely touched him," Cheryl threw over her shoulder as she was comforted by her minions.

It was a good 20 minutes later when Jughead was finally released from Weatherbee's office. He looked drained but not too much more so than usual, Betty thought.

"What happened in there?" she asked, frowning, searching his face for the more detailed answer she knew he wouldn't actually verbalise.

"My second interrogation of the day," Jughead replied. "Don't know who's more of a dick, Keller or Weatherbee."

"Don't listen to them," Betty pressed, "everyone else is wrong. Your dad's innocent, and we just need to prove it, Jug."

The image of finding Betty's dead body flashed into his mind and he forced it away before replying, "Who killed him then, Betty? Tell me. If it wasn't my dad, who killed Jason Blossom? He said he did it, and you kow what? I've been waiting my whole life for that man to do the right thing, and I'm done. You should be too."

Jughead knew he shouldn't be doing what he was doing - pushing those closest to him away. But it was like he couldn't stop himself. He felt as if his entire life was being ripped out from under him and he could either fight it or he could just take the path of least resistance. But it didn't make him feel any better when he got home to Archie's to hear the discussion taking place in the kitchen between father and son.

"Archie my priority is keeping you safe," Fred was saying.

"Keep me safe from who? Jughead? Are you kidding me Dad?" Archie's reply caught Jughead off-guard and his breath caught in his chest.

"No, from whatever trouble seems to follow the Jones' around, wherever they go, whatever they do. Hell, maybe you should go to Chicago and live with your Mom."

"It's not even something I was considering Dad. But you know what? Maybe I should."

"Hey if it'll keep you out of trouble, I'm all for it."

Jughead had heard enough and he stepped into the kitchen, his boot making a loud enough sound to alert the two Andrews men of his arrival. Archie's face fell and Jughead knew that his friend knew he'd heard their conversation.

"Hey Jug," Archie started.

"I'm gonna sleep in the garage tonight," Jughead interrupted. The bruises on his body almost flaring up at the thought of sleeping on the lumpy couch. "Okay?" He didn't stick around for an answer, lugging his backpack and himself out of the house.

Jughead set up camp on the couch and toed his boots off. He wasn't hungry or at least he didn't think he was - his torso was already so sore, he wasn't sure he'd know the difference between bruises and hunger pangs at this point. Laying down on the couch, he pulled the blanket over him. He just wanted to leave this day in his rearview mirror and wake up to a new one tomorrow.