t h r e e

*italics = sign language*

Seeing the city completely empty gave Miles chills. The once lively city of Atlanta now a ghost town. It was a weird thing to witness for the group. No one could have predicted the apocalypse.

"Merle first or the guns?" Rick asked the group.

"Merle! We ain't even havin' this conversation," Daryl told Rick.

"We are. You know the geography. It's your call," Rick looked at Glenn.

"Merle's closest. The guns would mean doubling back. Merle first," Glenn nodded at Daryl.

The group started towards the building where Merle was left. They followed Glenn through every street and alley, away from the walkers.

Miles and Max stayed far behind with T-dog. Miles thought it would be best since the front is already covered by a skill hunter and cop. Max would be able to sense anything coming from behind.

During the walk to the building where the group left Merle, Miles did a lot of thinking. Seeing the city empty made Miles wonder where her family went. She's originally from Houston but moved to Atlanta a year before the apocalypse hit. Miles and her family never got along but she still prayed for their safety and survival. 

The group arrived to the department store, which happened to be the building where they left Merle. Glenn and Rick slowly entered the department, trying to be as quiet as possible in case there were walkers. Daryl did not care. He stormed into the department store and immediately found a walker.

"Damn. You are one ugly skank." He said as he shot an arrow through the head of the walker. Daryl pulled the arrow out of the walker's head and headed toward the stairs.

Miles and Max were right behind him, ready to face whatever was on the roof.  

Miles handed the bolt cutters to Daryl and prepared to shoot anything that was waiting behind the door. Daryl cut through the padlock and pushed the door open. 

"Merle! Merle!" Daryl ran to where the saw was on the floor and saw something no one wanted to see. 

"No!" Daryl cried out. Merle's hand was lying on the ground, but there was no Merle in sight.

T-Dog, Glenn, Rick, and Miles all stared at Merle's severed hand. Miles couldn't believe what she was seeing. Miles thought about what she would do in Merle's place, and she knew she wouldn't have saw her own hand off.

Seeing Merle's hand, angered Daryl. He turned around quickly and pointed his crossbow at T-Dog, making Rick pull out his gun to aim at Daryl. 

"I won't hesitate. I don't care if every walker in the city hears it," Rick said to Daryl.

"Daryl, put it down," Miles signed, trying to diffuse the situation.

Daryl kept his eyes on T-Dog but lowered his crossbow. "You got a do-rag or something?"

T-Dog grabs a do-rag from his pocket and hands it to Daryl. Daryl uses it to pick up Merle's hand. 

"I guess the saw blade was too dull for the handcuffs. Ain't that a bitch," Daryl shook his head. Miles watched him pick up the decaying hand and put it in Glenn's backpack. She wanted to throw up.

Daryl continued to talk to the guys while Miles saw a trail of blood. Miles tapped on Max's head and pointed at the trail, showing Max and hoping that he follows it. 

Max seemed to understand what his owner was telling him and sniffed the trail. The trail led to an empty hallway where the offices were. Miles saw a few dead walkers and assumed that was Merle's doing.  The light fixtures were hanging down from the ceiling and there was blood splattered on the floor and on the walls. Miles continued to follow Max until he stopped. Max got into a defensive stance, informing Miles that something or someone was close. Miles could smell the rotting flesh coming from the walkers but she couldn't tell if it was from the ones killed or if there was one walking near.